PDA

View Full Version : Coolant filter installation

CoyleJR
06-01-2013, 13:12
I just finished mounting a coolant filter on my 06 LBZ and am looking for some opinions on where to tap into the cooling system. I am thinking of splicing into the inlet side heater hose to the inlet side of the filter. Then going from the outlet side of the filter to the surge tank hose. I am not sure which heater hose is the inlet or the surge tank and heater hose diameters. If anyone knows this information I would appreciate their input. Additionally, if anyone has different thoughts on how to plumb the coolant filter speak up. I did a DP search and there is not a lot of good info on the subject.

Thanks in advance
John

jbplock
06-01-2013, 17:14
John,

Several years ago I installed a Baldwin 5134 coolant filter behind the bumper on my 03 and tapped feed and return lines for the filter into the heater core in/out lines as shown (red is the hot feed and green is the return). If I remember correctly I bought the tees form Napa and the heater hose diameter was 5/8"'. The feed and return lines (from the tees) were 3/8".

jbplock
06-01-2013, 17:28
Here's the Napa Tee I used..

CoyleJR
06-04-2013, 13:58
Bill,
Thanks for the pictures and the information. You did a nice clean job of installing your coolant filter. I am posting a picture of my coolant filter and heater hoses. My filter is mounted on the firewall next to the master cylinder. I like how you spliced into the heater hoses. If you look at my pictures you will see that the right side (your green) heater hose on my truck is made with crimped hose ends and is most likely a $200 dealer item. I just don't want to cut that line. At first glance I mistook it for an A/C hose. I am going to splice into my heater inlet hose (your red) to send coolant to the filter. For a return hose from the coolant filter I will splice into the surge tank hose.
Note: The heater hoses are completely different on my 06 compared to your 03. If my 06 was the same as your 03 I would run both hoses just like you did.
Thanks
John

More Power
06-04-2013, 14:35
Thanks for posting guys.

The only time I've used a coolant filter was when I installed a newly rebuilt engine, and knew there was some block sealant particles and possibly some amount of grit in the engine's water jackets. I wanted to catch it before it had cycled through the system too long.

Jim