PDA

View Full Version : Another Duramax "Reduced Power" Problem

lars1
06-01-2013, 21:25
What would cause my stock 2003 2500HD to stall and roll to a stop? I got a "reduced power" message. It starts and then stalls. The fuel filter was replaced about 7.5K miles ago. The fuel is purchased from a single source (bulk dealer). The engine oil and air filter were changed about 2.5K miles ago. I haven't used the KN air filter for about 25K miles. The truck has about 135K miles.

Input would be appreciated so I can "help" the dealership troubleshoot and solve the problem.

DmaxMaverick
06-02-2013, 00:02
If you pull the code(s), it'll tell you why. Otherwise, change the fuel filter and repeat. CA emission models can do that when they have issues with the EGR, but a start and stall usually indicates a fuel supply issue.

Kennedy
06-03-2013, 09:42
What fuel filter are you using?

If it's the Wix/Napa/CARQUEST plastic one this is where I would start.

You can also verify the condition of the fuel system/filter restriction quite easily with this handy little test gauge:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Dmax-fuel-filter-rest1.gif

lars1
06-08-2013, 10:39
The truck is still down.

I don't have specifics at this point. I was told the code or codes suggested a communication issue between the accelerator (gas pedal) and computer. The gas pedal was replaced and the truck test drove successfully and it handed off to a family member. The truck broke down within a few miles of the dealership. I was told it had the same symptoms and code(s).

The dealership took responsibility for the tow and the previous work.

They are looking at replacing the computer with a unit from a local salvage yard.

I did have a weird electrical issue back in January relating to the charging system. Considering this and the new communication/computer related codes might they be related? I am also on my second instrument cluster. The replacement is now going dark on the gear shift display.

The fuel filter is a GM design purchased from the dealership.

a5150nut
06-08-2013, 12:26
That many electrical problems? How are all the ground connections?

Kennedy
06-09-2013, 07:25
If you pull the code(s), it'll tell you why. Otherwise, change the fuel filter and repeat. CA emission models can do that when they have issues with the EGR, but a start and stall usually indicates a fuel supply issue.

Without knowing the codes as Mav suggested we are in the dark.