PDA

View Full Version : Power extending mirrors /

gary_lucas
06-02-2013, 20:48
Hi all, funny story.

So, I had a pair of strap extend -a- mirrors from Canadian tire that I used with the 4runner and the small travel trailer we had.

When we got the Sierra I stopped using them, the truck is wider than the 4runner and the mirrors are bigger.

However, we just got the 5th wheel and I went back to using the strap on mirrors...

Today when I was driving back to our storage spot today with the fifth wheel I passed another GMC 2500hd Duramax, probably same year... Basically identical except for color and I saw he had extended mirrors... I looked more closely and I was like "Hrm, those look exactly like my mirrors... Except their way further out...

Looked at my mirrros, his mirrors... And back again...

The light came on, I have extendable towing mirrors and never knew it!.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/559/medium/MirrorResized.jpg
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/559/medium/MirrorExtResized.jpg

So when I got in to the storage spot I got out and pulled on them, and they slid out... But they sound like there's a motor in them.

My next question is, how the heck do you operate them. I'm pretty sure their full power sliding mirrors, but I've never found a switch or etc. in the cab that would seem to indicate that they do something other than just adjust like normal mirrors.

Any suggestions for where those controls might be? Also, did these mirrors ever come stock on a truck (options, etc)? Or are they aftermarket?

Thanks allot,

Gary

gary_lucas
06-02-2013, 21:23
Update:

So, I figured out how to make them extend.

Put the mirror selector button in the centre and then the mirror adjustment left / right extends them.

Awesome, ...

Also... DOH!

In any case it also looks like the mirrors fold based on the diagram that lights up on the mirror adjustment... But can't figure that out just yet.

gary_lucas
06-02-2013, 21:40
And answering my own questions again. (Sorry, I was assuming this stuff was probably aftermarket stuff)...

I got the owners manual out and discovered that these mirrors are a) stock and b) You have the option of either Power folding OR power extending... But not both...

I also came across (finally) electronic copies of GMC owners manuals:

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/owners-manual/gmc_owner_manuals.html

From 1999 to 2013, probably everyone here knew about them... But I didn't :(

G

DmaxMaverick
06-02-2013, 23:03
Sounds like you screwed up in reverse. It happens. I like surprises, so I don't read the owner's manuals. Life is more exiting that way (some of the time).

gimpyhauler
06-03-2013, 17:46
You have the one thing I wish my truck had. Extendable mirrors. I'd even be happy with manual one's like my buddy's. None of the strap-on work well. The one that actually fits, folds the mirror when driving. Oh well.

DmaxMaverick
06-03-2013, 19:53
You have the one thing I wish my truck had. Extendable mirrors. I'd even be happy with manual one's like my buddy's. None of the strap-on work well. The one that actually fits, folds the mirror when driving. Oh well.

Go aftermarket. A few of our Supporters (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm)have options, rumored to be much improved over anything OEM has to offer.

Kennedy
06-05-2013, 06:38
The tow best mirror ever made was the TTT/Schefenacker mirror. I have them on all of my trucks except the 2012 which has the junk OE mirrors because the TTT will not fit.

Unfortunately the TTT's went out of production before I realized that it was happening. I scrounged what I could buying several skids of mirrors and parts. At this point all I have is manual adjust, but these mirrors are so damn good that they really don't need to be adjusted once they are set.

gimpyhauler
09-30-2013, 17:21
Wish I could find them for my truck.

I have a friend keeping his eyes open at the truck recycler for extendable mirrors to replace my non-extending mirrors.