PDA

View Full Version : DS4 5288 injection pump

ronale
06-03-2013, 06:47
Extension harness plug (male) from PMD at IP side has falled apart. Looks like it has been very hot. If the fuel solenoid which is driven by PMD has a shortcircuit I believe there has been high current thru the connection plugs.
I measure resistance 0,1 ohm thru the fuel solenoid.
Is this value correct?

More Power
06-04-2013, 12:07
Solenoids, in general, are just a coil of wire that is part of an electro-magnet. As such, measuring resistance through the coil using a digital ohm meter will result in a very low value. A reading of 0.1 ohm would be expected, though I've not actually put a meter to a fuel solenoid. I think it's OK.

Jim

ronale
06-06-2013, 13:32
Problem solved, back on the road again.

The extension harness plug is filled by clear silicone behind the male contacts.
Caused by the heat the silicone melted and made a thin layer inside the female plug from the IP. This made poor connection and is the possible reason of the problem, not the fuel soilenoid coil.
I suppose there has been high contact resistance over time which is the reason for overheating the plug.

Summary:
No start
No DTC's was set.
First I swapped PMD's, no luck. A continuity test of the two harness' (disconnected) showed ok. Next I thought the IP was faulty because of low resistance (0,1 ohm) in the fuel soilenoid coil. This value concerned me but I believe this is a coil made for intermittent (on/off) operation. Compared, the fuel shut off solenoid coil has a resistance value of about 20 ohms and is designed for continuous operation.
Cleaned the female plug on the harness from IP, connected PMD and voila!
While I am waiting for a new extension harness the PMD/cooling fin is mounted at the intake manifold.