PDA

View Full Version : please help 6.5 cranks but won't start

Jason May
06-05-2013, 06:58
I have a 6.5 in a gmc van that did not start this morning can somebody please help me with the diagnostic procedure. It cranks fine but does not fire lift pump sounds like it is working

please help
thanks

Yukon6.2
06-05-2013, 20:36
Hi Jason
Welcome to the Page.
Could you give some more info on your van,year any work done lately?Any wierd things going on when you were driving ect.
The more info you can provide the better chance of coming up with the soluotion to your problem.
Did you fill up before you shut it off?
Thomas

Jason May
06-07-2013, 13:52
It is a 2000 gmc savannah it has about 180,000 miles it got filled up with fuel the day before it would not start. no current codes in the cpu

Jason May
06-07-2013, 13:53
where would I start the diagnostic procedure at for this engine

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2013, 14:12
If it started and ran fine before, and not after a fuel fill, the fuel quality is highly suspect. Check the filter for sediment, or other non-fuel properties (such as gasoline, water, algae, other contaminants, etc.).

Jason May
06-08-2013, 05:41
i think we can rule out fuel containerization filter is pretty clean and i put 100 miles on it after fuel fill with no problems

DmaxMaverick
06-08-2013, 08:52
I understand that, but there are several contaminants that won't noticeably affect running, if it's already hot, but make starting very difficult. Gasoline is one, and up to 15-20% it will run normal, but may not start cold. I'm not saying that's the problem, but if the fill up was the only event between running and not, it's the only clue you have at the moment, and it must be eliminated.

A noisy lift pump is not, necessarily, a pumping pump. Check pressure and flow. Also check for air intrusion.

loosen an injector line nut, and check for fuel to the injectors while cranking.

Test the glow plugs, and ensure they are getting juice during the WTS cycle.

Check battery voltage and cranking RPM. Too slow won't start.

The troubleshooting list for hard/no starts is long, eliminate every system component and condition, one at a time.

Yukon6.2
06-08-2013, 20:37
Check your recpeit
I towed in one diesel that came about the same distance since last fill.They spent the night in our town and the next day it wouldn't start.
I quized them to priors and they mentioned filling up the night befor,i asked to see the recpeit,and there it was x number of liters of gas.
Problem solved.
Thomas

Jason May
06-10-2013, 07:05
no fuel at the injectors when cranking (bone dry)

glow plugs seem to be working fine

could it be the fuel shut off where it on the van it is terrible to locate components

Jason May
06-10-2013, 08:07
fuel shut off is good and there is fuel to it just no fuel to injectors

thank you for any help

More Power
06-10-2013, 09:07
What's the history of the PMD/FSD module? Do you have a spare that you can use as a test?

Jim