PDA

View Full Version : Help identify pump from builder plate please

greatwhite
06-15-2013, 18:52
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/gr8twhite/c6b77605-0307-4b82-959f-e4f36bbc226b_zps08e1465a.jpg

Pretty sure that means it a rebuilt pump.

Found a few site that mention a ds-s5521 and they all seem to be rebuilders.

Any ways to tell dates or components that should have been changed?

It used to have the old style fuel shutoff solenoid and what looked like tye old style optical sensor, so who knows whats been done to it.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it....

greatwhite
06-16-2013, 04:59
little bump for possible info.

:)

Robyn
06-16-2013, 06:44
The 5521 was the popular IP for the 6.5 starting about 96

The red tag is puzzling, as most Stanadyne pumps have blue tags.

By the pic alone, hard to tell. Are there any other tags on the thing.

Usually a rebuilder will place a tag under a screw on top ??????

Other common pumps were the 5067 and 5068

The 5521 was a replacement pump and this number is still sold today.

Missy

greatwhite
06-16-2013, 08:09
The 5521 was the popular IP for the 6.5 starting about 96

The red tag is puzzling, as most Stanadyne pumps have blue tags.

By the pic alone, hard to tell. Are there any other tags on the thing.

Usually a rebuilder will place a tag under a screw on top ??????

Other common pumps were the 5067 and 5068

The 5521 was a replacement pump and this number is still sold today.

Missy

Nope, no other markings besides the plate and some white witness paint on a couple top cover bolts.

I have found one site that has a pic of a red data plate on an s5521:

http://www.dwenginecomponents.com/Pages/ItemProfile_Detail.aspx?ItemProfileId=ISTS5521

Looks like it's a reman I'm thinking.

Maybe the red plate was available to authorized rebuilders?

The truck did spend nearly all its life on the west coast of Canada in BC. BD Diesel is right there and they partner with Valley diesel services and Harbour Diesel in Naniamo.

It's entirely likely it is a rebuilt from them since my truck is a 98 and has at least one engine replacement before i got it. Its also got 438,000 kms on the clock so a pump change somewhere in its past was a certainty.

I was just hoping for more info like a rebuild date, if it had ceramic rollers, etc.

I guess it falls under "beggars can't be choosers" territory....

Robyn
06-16-2013, 08:50
A 5521 pump should have ceramic rollers.

The plate shown in your piccy is normally not removed, but instead a litte triangle shaped tag will be afixed to a screw at the top corner ?????

Rebuilt, yess, very likely. There are a lot of shops that are capable of rebuiling these units.

Missy

convert2diesel
06-17-2013, 06:30
Is it possible the Red tags were used to identify the "hardened" pumps that were built to run on jet fuel for the military?

Bill

Robyn
06-17-2013, 06:51
I dont recall the Mil ever using any DS4 pumps.
The HMMWV all run the DB2 mechanical units.

greatwhite
06-17-2013, 07:44
No rebuilder tags were evident but there were paint witness marks.

I did find a reference at (I think it was at) flash offroad that stated DS5521 pumps were used on hummers.

Funny thing is when I got the truck it had the older style shutoff solenoid and Optical sensor.

Me thinks me smells a lowball rebuild.....:(

greatwhite
06-17-2013, 08:15
Aha!

I've sussed it out.

New pumps or original pumps came with blue labels.

Rebuilt pumps get red.

So I'm assuming it was at least a stanadyne authorized shop if it had access to the "rebuilder" data plate. i can only hope they changed teh internal components to the proper hardened/ceramic coated ones. given the old shutoff solenoid and optical sensor, I'm skeptical....

Now to go look at the casting date on the side of the pump I found referenced elsewhere....

Kennedy
06-17-2013, 08:34
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/gr8twhite/c6b77605-0307-4b82-959f-e4f36bbc226b_zps08e1465a.jpg

Pretty sure that means it a rebuilt pump.

Found a few site that mention a ds-s5521 and they all seem to be rebuilders.

Any ways to tell dates or components that should have been changed?

It used to have the old style fuel shutoff solenoid and what looked like tye old style optical sensor, so who knows whats been done to it.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it....

The 5521 tag SHOULD mean that ALL components are rebuilt and upgraded to that latest spec. Highly recommended, but NOT required. Unfortunately there is a lot of corner cutting that goes on and many of these parts get reused. This is why there is such a wide variance in prices for reman pumps. This is where a level of trust in the rebuilder is needed and often not warranted. We sell a lot more brand new DS4's than we do reman primarily because the price difference is so minimal plus the reman guys find them much cheaper elsewhere. They are cheaper because corners are being cut like reusing the encoder and the shutoff solenoid. These two key items should be replaced as a matter of principle.

This little rant is just an FYI and not directed at the OP or anyone in general. Just hoping to educate people so they don't spend too much money on a cheap reman.

greatwhite
06-17-2013, 12:22
No offence taken John.

Good info and thanks.

This one has (had) the old optical sensor in it.

Im actually the guy who asked about buying one off your site last week. I have a serviceble one swapped in from an old pump I had lying around but it is also the old style sensor. Well, the part number doesn't match the 33883 of the new style sensor at least.

Im willing to bet the old pump i have is actually pretty low miles as it's clean as a whistle and it had a dead pmd on it. It was a dealer warranty pump that had been lying on the shelf out back. When i snagged it I drained the fuel and filled in with straight 10w non detergent oil to preserve it.

Still working on the "financial manager" about buying the new one. We've got a long trip coming up and i would feel better with a new sensor in ther vice one I don't know the history of.

Now that i think of it, it did have the new hex head style shutoff.

But the old op sensor brings the whole quality of the rebuild in question in my mind....