PDA

View Full Version : Okadoc

okadoc
06-22-2013, 18:41
Water mist injection versus inter cooling . I have a p400 mech fuel pump 6.5 turbo engine purchased from engine production company/65 engine sales out of Ronkonamin near New York. Discovered on arrival down under in Oz that the intake manifold design won't allow inter cooling installation. Called supplier (Eric ) and advised this was not configuration ordered,he quoted 1500 US to supply an intake manifold setup that will facilitate the fitting of an intercooler.They have lost at least 15 engine sales to Oz as a result of their unprofessional conduct, this wont get mine sorted though.Have stumbled across supplier of water mist injection systems claiming this system to be more effective, less intrusive in the engine bay and at a cost of approx 650 us for a two stage system.the site is A1custom.com and has lots of interesting reading and mentions a person named Jim constantly.would this be you Jim of the TDP. Will appreciate all feedback on these systems as the concept is not common in Oz at all and one would assume there will be a sound reason for that however every time I ASSUME the fertiliser hits the fan somehow. Will post photos of our project when complete .

sctrailrider
06-23-2013, 06:52
let me say one thing about "A1 Customs" .... STAY AWAY ...... don't believe anything you read on that site !!!!!!!!!!!!

There will be others here that may chime in,,, we will see....

I would do a IC if at all possible before the water, I have both but don't use water much, only when towing and working hard..

A IC doesn't need to cost a lot, it just needs to be thought out well and a 6.5 flows a max of around 600cfm's so you could mix the parts needed to get some cooler air in.....

There is a DIY wrightup here in the paied section that shows a IC install in a little older truck, easy install and shows different ways to do it....

a5150nut
06-23-2013, 08:57
Okadoc,

What is the configuration you have and what is needed?

For $1500 I would think you could fab what is needed and spend $$ there rather than more to someon who is, letes say not professional. . . .

Post a pic or two. We have many keyboard engineers that could help.

And if you can, stick with vendors from here on TDP, they get fed to the Croc's if they are not reputable.

phantom309
06-23-2013, 17:20
Steaksauce is still alive??? 'mazing,.

okadoc,. postr a pic of this intake that won't work with an intercooler,.
seems to me it,s only the top hat that need be different,..:confused:

Nick

okadoc
06-23-2013, 19:31
:DThanks for the heads up Chris my thoughts confirmed. I'm up in the north west of Western Australia 1000 miles from my home which is where the OKA is and expect to be back in the next week or so and will shoot some pic,s and post as requested and thanks heaps to all for your responses so far
The OKA is a custom designed dedicated all terrain 4x4 built in west oz and original engine is the ever reliable 4cyl 110hp Perkins diesel coupled to a 5 speed spicer and either an np 205 or Rockwell transfer case, Dana 60 up front and 70 at rear.
Other than my love of V8,s you undoubtedly understand the reason for the upgrade. The concept produced a very capable cross country ride all be it with its engineering anomalies for a 13000 lb terrain muncher. So with a 250 hp/550 P400 heart and 4340 chrome Molly 35 spline axles with the rest of the drive train strengthened , a 4l80e custom built with all the right materials hopefully, and I wasn't happy with the Rockwell so we retrofitted a Nissan hq triple chain drive transfer case with a 43% reduction out to 1.1/2.8 .1these boxes are indestructible, 4.88 diffs turning Michelin 325/85/16. UML's
Now we just have to get the TPS up right between the MFI and the 4 l80 E and after reading volume amounts in these forums and features will approach this challenge with eyes and ears wide open.Not a 100% by a long shot due to my laymen status but keen on a challenge any assistance and help here sincerely appreciated. This site rocks with expertise and best of all a no Nonesense approaching.Very informative to say the least. Must say very envious of your ability to source goods and engineering supplies plentiful and very cheap when compared to Oz.your collective intelligence is very impressive such as illustrated in TDP and please take a bow Jim and all others for such a beaut publication.
Now over to the most used four letter word in a brothel.........Next.

okadoc
06-24-2013, 02:28
Okadoc,

What is the configuration you have and what is needed?

For $1500 I would think you could fab what is needed and spend $$ there rather than more to someon who is, letes say not professional. . . .

Post a pic or two. We have many keyboard engineers that could help.

And if you can, stick with vendors from here on TDP, they get fed to the Croc's if they are not reputable.

we have the P400 mechanical fuel injection pump and rear turbo. The delivery tube from the turbo delivers air to a splitter box which directs air to the intake manifolds. I have spotted a manifold arrangement where the delivery from the turbo heads out into the intercooler and that returns to a crossover manifold between the and supplying both inlet manifolds.so what I have is a nonense when spouting figures of 250hp/550 as we cant intercool the beast. So will post photos just as soon as Im back home of the motor and any info will be gratefully recieved on a fix. The cost is not really an issue just dont know where to procure the right manifolds, have googled but hit a brick wall and wont have a bar of the original engine supplier. The old once bitten syndrome has set in.Cheers for your reply

sctrailrider
06-24-2013, 03:49
Wjen ya get some pics maybe we can find ya some parts for a cooler....

sctrailrider
06-24-2013, 07:40
WOW---- I looked at their web site... 8300.00 - 16,000 USD that's a lot ...

And we call that a "center mount" turbo.... I'm sure that a cooler could be piped in --- Might even be so that you could just unbolt the intake and turn it around and have the intake to the front for piping....I don't know if it will work or not I never have done it..

More Power
06-24-2013, 14:25
Water mist injection versus inter cooling. Would this be you Jim of the TDP.

Likely.... Within a few months of the board operation - some 13+ years ago, I gave him a choice because of bad behavior. Since then, he's been given the same choice on every other diesel related board I know of.

www.snowperformance.net (http://www.snowperformance.net) has been selling water mist injection for many years. It's a well thought out and complete kit.

I tried water injection AND an intercooler together years ago. What I found is that either will work separately, but combining them doesn't produce twice the effect. It's all about delta-T. It's easier to reduce a temperature of couple hundred degrees above ambient by a significant amount, but harder when the temp is just a few tens of degrees above ambient. Either can reduce boosted air temps by a couple hundred degrees in high load situations.

Water is a consumable. Water injection systems require attention and effort to keep them working. An intercooler is always there and requires no maintenance. Choosing one is a no-brainer - for me at least.

Jim @ TDP

okadoc
06-25-2013, 07:14
hey Jim,
thanks for that yeah I thought it must have been another sales site for you maybe as I wasnt up with the politics but a bit of a read of that site and scam.com etc etc tells me I dont wanabee either, wow nonesense personified I dont wanna know its just depressing and so not me. I wont go there or be drawn into this rubbish mentality again as its a total assult on and insult too ones intelligence. Hope everyone gets well soon, not a good look from down under.

Hey chris,
When I get back home Ill dive straight into the engine bay and see if we can reverse the inlet manifolds, why didnt I think of that, collective intelligence is a powerful tool, used properly its certainly not the bluntest tool in the shed.
I paid $9850.00 USD for the P400 oiler complete ready to drop in from US engine production co and it owed me $11500 AUS landed in my shed in Oz, which I was happy with considering their agents in Oz on the East Coast were around $18000 AUS.I am seeking a good reliable source for the P400 and 6.6's and Cummins along with Allison and 4L80E's, NP 205's and drive train equipment. Have sourced from Summit some Eagles and other gear and it was painless good shopping.