PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pump Help

chestatee
07-01-2013, 16:29
Installed a pump I bought new a year ago 94 6.5td (30k on pump), and put on another 6.5 of mine recently. I could not get any fuel to pump through injectors or pump by bleeding . Pulled it off to make sure it was working after setting up, A friend put on his 6.5 engine test stand with my trucks ecm/computer and it ran fine, did a full scan no codes etc.
Put it back and on my engine and the same thing.No fuel thru pump after bleeding or lines. all electrical connections on pump good.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank You

john8662
07-02-2013, 08:35
Are you getting the normal check lights when you turn the key on?

Glow Plugs come on?
Service Engine Soon Comes on when you turn the key on?
Service Throttle Soon Light comes on when you turn the key on then goes off?

Just ensuring you're getting power to the ECM.

After you try and crank it, don't turn the key off. Check for codes using the paperclip method, see if it's generating any codes related to the injection system.

For priming, you'll need to rig the lift pump to stay on during the process. On a 94 it doesn't turn on the lift pump while cranking on the starter like the 95 and later do. This makes it much harder to prime a dry injection system.

I did a post not too long ago here describing that process of wiring on the lift pump on for a 1994, I'll dig it up.

Also, check that your fuel shutoff solenoid clicks when you turn the key on, have a buddy turn the key on while you're holding the solenoid, you should feel it click.

J

john8662
07-02-2013, 08:40
Check this thread out, it has the description of how to hot wire the lift pump on, for a 1994.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=41998

For the Paper Clip method to check codes check here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/readcodes.cfm

chestatee
07-02-2013, 09:24
John
Thanks you so much for your time and concern.
I will go through this check list; since it ran fine on your end there's obviously something not right with electrical here. I'll be back.
Thanks
MDS

Are you getting the normal check lights when you turn the key on?

Glow Plugs come on?
Service Engine Soon Comes on when you turn the key on?
Service Throttle Soon Light comes on when you turn the key on then goes off?

Just ensuring you're getting power to the ECM.

After you try and crank it, don't turn the key off. Check for codes using the paperclip method, see if it's generating any codes related to the injection system.

For priming, you'll need to rig the lift pump to stay on during the process. On a 94 it doesn't turn on the lift pump while cranking on the starter like the 95 and later do. This makes it much harder to prime a dry injection system.

I did a post not too long ago here describing that process of wiring on the lift pump on for a 1994, I'll dig it up.

Also, check that your fuel shutoff solenoid clicks when you turn the key on, have a buddy turn the key on while you're holding the solenoid, you should feel it click.

J

racer55
07-06-2013, 08:47
What model IP is it-some 94's have an eprom that only operates a 5068 IP,compare model #'s from the old to new IP.
If yours is any other model you will need a reflashed chip provided the original IP was a 5068.

chestatee
07-06-2013, 13:31
Sorry -I'm not getting notices on replies. late model 94 #5521. Power going to fuel shut off valve, no air in fuel etcc-fixed replie setting
Michael

What model IP is it-some 94's have an eprom that only operates a 5068 IP,compare model #'s from the old to new IP.
If yours is any other model you will need a reflashed chip provided the original IP was a 5068.

chestatee
07-06-2013, 13:41
Power going to Fuel shut off, changed over to run fuel pump when keyed on,
Codes;
DTC#62-Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit-High
DTC#26-Accelerator Pedal Position Circuit-Low
All IP lights are coming on as should.

racer55
07-06-2013, 13:50
Power going to Fuel shut off, changed over to run fuel pump when keyed on,
Codes;
DTC#62-Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit-High
DTC#26-Accelerator Pedal Position Circuit-Low
All IP lights are coming on as should.

DTC 26 could also be a significant factor?

Stock or remote PMD?
Resistor in PMD?

DmaxMaverick
07-06-2013, 13:56
Unless your PCM has been updated, the 5521 pump won't work on your 94 HD. Anything but a 5068 pump won't work properly, if at all. The 5068 pump is unique to the 1994 VIN F trucks.

john8662
07-06-2013, 15:38
most 1994's didn't have the 5068. The only ones I've seen have been on 3500's.

His PCM has been tested with the 5521 to verify that the E-Prom configuration is compatible and runs with the 5521.

A 5068 e-prom will run a 5521 pump, but there are some definite issues. It will start and idle properly though, just has drivability issues (no low end power).

J

john8662
07-06-2013, 15:42
Are you using a PMD extension harness?

If so, take that out of the equation, plug the PMD in loose on the connector on the injection pump.

May have a bad extension harness...

chestatee
07-06-2013, 16:57
I posted earlier that it's a 5521- No extension harness; mounted to pump, same wires/ harness being used when tested. Resistor not sure, from what I understand it does't matter on startup. This PMD was ran on pump when when it was tested on stand. Have had 2 other good PMD's on it trying to get it pumping fuel.Don't know about throttle code yet.
Which wire-color feed power to the PMD?
Thanks
Michael

racer55
07-06-2013, 19:42
originally posted by GMCTD:

A - Fuel Inject control - grn - to PCM

B - FSOL+ - lg red - to Fuel Solenoid

C - Closure ground - sm black - to PCM

D - +12v power - pink\blk - to ESO solenoid and IGN

E - Fuel inject signal - small red - to PCM

F - FSOL ground - lg black - to Fuel Solenoid and IP ground