PDA

View Full Version : Obd ii db2 ???

Vin82k3500
07-06-2013, 07:44
sorry to be a question pest but I have a slight current issue only due to a law that was passed this past winter by FMCSA

as you may know I am running a p400 crate engine in a gmt 100 chassis when I first purchased the engine it was fitted with the modern ds4 pump I was considering installing a 96 or newer pcm but instead I had my db2831-4911 pump rebuilt and tuned for my crate engine and no turbo as I am running it n/a

My current issue is not with the way the truck runs at all this thing is perfect however I am being forced to get an EOBR :(:(:(:(:mad:

the problem with this is that I cant find one that does not require an OBD II hook up :confused::confused:

what many may not understand is that the way I run my buisness the versatility of this truck is unmatchable by any new truck so yes I will admit a bigger truck with room in the back for a cot would be great I still like the fact that I can pull this thing cross country on a dolly behind a 26 foot budget and drive it back with or without a load and if no load getting 25 to 30 mpg

so I am considering the option of installing a pcm from a later gmt 400 and wiring just to get vss for my EOBR has anyone that has swapped the db2 pump done so and left all OBD II intact

YES its worth it to me to keep this truck in service

racer55
07-06-2013, 08:45
What year is the truck?

It should only have to meet emission requirements for it's build year and the test center is supposed to be able to do the test for all vehicles requiring it.

Vin82k3500
07-06-2013, 15:00
the truck is an 81 its not emmisions that is the problem its that all the contractors I work with are now due to new laws requiring all of there transporters to have electronic on board recording devices that manage all logs

no more book that is what EOBR stands for so the problem is that all of the eobrs I have looked at need to hook to the truck via obdII dlc I was originally gonna put an ecm from a newer truck in when I first installed the engine with the ds4 pump that came with the engine but I didnt

it runs great just need that device if I want to continue to haul cross country with this truck if I find annother eobr that dont require inter face with the vehical that wont be an issue

other wise I would like to install a pcm from a newer truck just so I can get the information to meet and comply with FMCSA

the truck is very versatile it is small enough that I can haul it behind a uhaul or budget or penske then drive it home empty or pick up loads on the way on there own trailers or stuff I can put in the bed

sure it cant haul as much as a new dually and I cant put a cot in the back seat of the cab since there is lack of BUT I get moving jobs all the time where I drive a moving truck south or west and haul my pickup behind as a tag along then make more money on the way back home

not gonna do that with a new truck when I do buy one

racer55
07-06-2013, 19:47
Ah OK I understand now.

Can you not use the vss from the stand alone trans computer?Assuming you have the 4L80E trans?

Or perhaps it monitors more than that when OBDII connected?

Vin82k3500
07-07-2013, 13:41
No I have no stand alone I have an NV4500 5 speed manual so no stand alone no computer or anything in this truck even my glow plugs I just run a simple relay with a momentary switch

really am getting to the age that I would like to retire my wrenches and just hot shot I can make a good months pay in 2 weeks

just used nv4500 trans and 208 transfer case nothing needing electrical I am being hasled because I dont have a smart phone a tablet and now an EOBR but last night I was told since I sold my other trucks and have no other drivers I should not need it not sure

pissing match with my brokers

Vin82k3500
07-07-2013, 13:51
hmm maybey I could some how link in a vss not sure the truck is set up pretty much like an old truck with a 6.2 needing only 1 wire to run the engine

I was at first considering running the ds4 with a pcm from a newer truck 96 up but after putting it together with the db2 and setting the fuel rate to compensate the engine with no turbo well all I can honestly say is that the truck runs to good to mess with

I have only once in the pase year and 127k miles wished it had a little more

and have done nothing to the truck but fluids and filters and tires

its a great simple reliable and versatile workhorse

though many trucks may do lots of things better than that truck there is not a single new truck that can do everything I do with this truck as good as this truck does them all

More Power
07-08-2013, 14:09
The tailshaft on the transmission is where the speedometer cable connects on the 1980s trucks. That's also where the VSS on the newer trucks plugs in.... (different tailshaft housings though).

I don't know how you could get both unless you went to an aftermarket electronic dash. Then, you could get VSS info... Jim

Vin82k3500
07-08-2013, 16:33
that is what I was considering Jim the electronic dash sadly I may have to retire it from service if they are not going to be a little more lax on my old truck

but not so sadly since thanks to help in this group of Great people on here I have grown very familiar and fond of the gm 6.2 and 6.5 engine and this truck is absolutely fun to drive for work or play so I guess I could keep it for play since It plays so well and gets great mileage

I was told they should loosen the belt on my pickup but if they dont well if I continue the hot shoting I will just have to bite the bullet and get a newer truck

because this thing is just to good to mess with the more I drive it the less I want to mess with such a great machine or maybey they will come out with a gps operated one that would be better since I just had a new painless harness installed back in march I really dont want to hack it up

frustrated with the new law but its there because many abuse it and drive tired and people get killed or hurt because of it unfortunately those like me who do not drive tired have to suffer oh well thanks for ideas

I do really like the versatility of this truck for what I do with it