PDA

View Full Version : TBO time between overhaul LLY

gary_lucas
07-07-2013, 12:58
What's the official number on this from DMAX?

I have been googling around and couldn't find an official source for this information... I've heard 200k, 250k miles and 95% @200k from various sources.

I'm curious, because I'm fairly confident that most dmax engines run allot further than that without substantial issues.

rapidoxidationman
07-07-2013, 15:29
Is there an "official" time for ANY engine that is intended for use by civilian non professionals?

That's like asking how long a piece of string is.

I'm hoping mine will go at least 400K miles, although I did have to do the head gaskets around 140K... did the valves while I was in there. Oil changes should take care of the bottom end, right?

More Power
07-08-2013, 14:13
It's 250K miles if I remember correctly. This is an intentionally low published number. GM considered that number very carefully before it was published, and decided it would rather over-deliver than over-promise. Jim

AKMark
07-08-2013, 14:36
I wonder how many hours....I'm at 15,7xx right now.

More Power
07-08-2013, 16:10
From a cylinder wear and bearing wear perspective, the 6600 will last as long as a BT5.9 or 7.3L PSD. We have a story online about a 750K LLY...
http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/750kduramaxc.htm

And, there's a thread in the Member's Forum about a 1M mile Duramax.

Now, if they could just get the injectors to go as far... .;)

Kennedy
07-09-2013, 08:04
I bought a 420k core that had injector issues leading to valve/piston/head issues. This engine could have easily gone 2-3x as long as it had or more and it was abused and neglected. It pulled a 3 car wedge and knowing the owner, I know of 2 other LLY engines that he has cooked.

We used the block in the engine build for my 2002 and when micing the bore, we determined that a quick half thou with a rigid hone would have been sufficient for a std on road overhaul.

AKMark
07-10-2013, 10:31
Nice, my 05 saw service on the North Slope oil fields in Alaska and only logged 85K miles in her first seven years of life. However she logged over 15K hours, most of which were spent idling, attempting to keep fluids viscous enough to allow the vehicle to be used when needed (temps in the -60 during winter). It runs great, and per GM, had injectors replaced under warranty two years ago when it had 78K miles. Now it crossed 99K this weekend. Hoping for another 400K, love this truck.

I had a 99 K2500 6.5 Suburban that saw the same thing for it's first seven years. However it didn't have an hour meter. When we first got it, the injectors and glow plugs were toast. It's still kicking hard for it's new owner, who hauls his horses and 7 grandchildren all over Alaska.

Now if only I had enough money to buy a Jon's tune, twin pump/filter setup, and a better exhaust setup.......

gary_lucas
07-11-2013, 20:57
Ok, so it sounds like TBO isn't a particularly valid way of looking at it.

I was curious because I am expecting to see my truck hit 500k KM (375k miles)... My brother in law thought that was unlikely...

Of course I get the standard service done. pay attention to it... Fuel treatment... Fluid changes...

And I also don't pin the pedal to the floor, or at least very, very rarely...

Thanks for all the info :)

Gary

Kennedy
07-12-2013, 07:10
My 2005 is on it's way to Circle AK slowly but surely. Probably there by now. Lots of obstacles to travel this year apparently.

Here's last report:

They finally got to Alaska 6-28. The trip was long and slow.
Canada---the roads were a nightmare from hell.
They got routed around Calgary because of a flood.
They saw lots of furniture and mud piled along the
road.
Alaska is fighting wild fires. Smoke really thick and
smells bad.
Figured they would get to Circle by the 4th if the rest of
the trip went well.

More Power
07-12-2013, 13:18
For an oil patch rig that sees lots & lots of idling, I'd keep watch on the harmonic damper. Idling can stress a damper more than normal driving.
Making big power stresses a damper even more.

Jim