PDA

View Full Version : Coolant in Oil?

lars1
07-09-2013, 17:55
I believe have another issue and welcome input. Our 1994 K2500 Suburban with about 150K miles had too much fluid in the oil pan (about 1-quart over the full line) and started to blow white smoke. The coolant was low and the car alarmed. It had sat for about 6-months when all of this was realized.

What to do considering coolant in the oil? The dealership "guessed" a failed head gasket and quoted $2,300 repair. What about internal damage due to the coolant?

The vehicle is good shape. I planning to loan it out as a school car for my son who just graduated.

Thanks in advance.

john8662
07-09-2013, 19:50
Sounds like a head gasket with the accompanied white smoke.

Usually not a biggie on a little coolant in the oil, fix the headgasket, drain oil, refill, shake it down. See how it goes.

J

joeq
07-09-2013, 19:53
X2 from above. I think that $2300 for a head gasket is a little extreme tho.
Even for both being changed.

Dvldog8793
07-09-2013, 20:16
What type of antifreeze is in it? The orange stuff will actually mix with oil and form a goop that will stick to the inside of everything. if you don't get rid of it, it will eat your bearings. I would change the gaskets, refill, run it to op temp and then use an oil flush product and change the oil again then change that oil out after about 3-500 miles. Might be overkill but oil is cheap and bearings are expensive. If it was mine I would do that no mater what type antifreeze it was but for sure with the orange stuff.
Good luck
Hope this helps

rustyk
07-10-2013, 12:56
Dvldog is right - but ANY ethylene glycol will cause sludge.

I would flush the cooling system to completely remove the ethylene glycol. Then change the oil/filter and run the engine for a few minutes with the radiator cap off to flush the crud out, then change the oil/filter again, and run the engine again for a few minutes.