PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster Downpipe Kit?

Aryeh Levy
10-05-2005, 15:10
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=FLO-17220

I saw this, and it's only 105. Shipping has to be horrible, but it also looks like it's one piece, mandrel bent, with flanges already included. Good deal or not?

I've been gleefully toying with the idea of putting an elbow and a muffler off the downpipe... right out the passenger side front door.

That way i could swap out the "performance exhaust" if i needed to pass inspection with the existing cat etc...

We all know the soot trap is useless if your boost is high enough...

TurboDiverArt
10-05-2005, 15:28
Originally posted by Aryeh Levy:
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=FLO-17220

I saw this, and it's only 105. Shipping has to be horrible, but it also looks like it's one piece, mandrel bent, with flanges already included. Good deal or not?

I've been gleefully toying with the idea of putting an elbow and a muffler off the downpipe... right out the passenger side front door.

That way i could swap out the "performance exhaust" if i needed to pass inspection with the existing cat etc...

We all know the soot trap is useless if your boost is high enough... I just put that kit on this weekend. Simple installation. My suggestion vs. a side cut out is a turndown. No extra shipping, just their standard "handling charge" of $8.95. Arrived in two days standard ground shipping. They will ship it within one day. I could not get the cross over off so right now I only have the DP on the truck. EGT

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
10-05-2005, 16:09
Any reason they list it as 95 to 98 only? Any reason it would not fit a 94?

I wonder what shipping to Canada would be?

Herman_Bolger
10-05-2005, 17:34
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tacklewasher:

I wonder what shipping to Canada would be?

We ordered our exhaust from ss diesel supply in NY. Walt was real freindly and seemed to know his stuff, we ordered the complete 4" kit I think it was about 275 us. an extra 50 bucks for shipping to canada, it was still 40% cheaper than buying over here. And walt shipps to Canada all the time, it worked out great for us.
The pre 95's did not have the cat, it may have a differant flange or something at the end of the down pipe.

countrycoach
10-06-2005, 05:12
it works fine on a 94. I bought the same kit and installed it on my truck. The only thing I had to do was put a little dent in the crossover pipe to clear my manual tranny! I noticed a pretty good seat of the pants inprovement!

TurboDiverArt
10-06-2005, 10:47
Originally posted by Tacklewasher:

I wonder what shipping to Canada would be? Don't know, it fit on a 1999.

Art.

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
10-07-2005, 09:54
How hard would it be to attache this to a Duramx exhaust. Dad has one just sitting in his backyard waiting to disappear under my truck, but how much fabbing would be needed?

Diesel Dan
10-07-2005, 18:06
Originally posted by Tacklewasher:
How hard would it be to attache this to a Duramx exhaust. Shouldn't be too hard. You'll need an adapter for a 3-3.5" pipe. The Dmax muffler is a 3.5" and the downpipe is 3", IIRC. I used a Dmax muffler on my motorhome, welded up a mandrel 3" downpipe, installed adapter and ran 3.5 to muffler and used a 3.5" flowmaster tailpipe kit. It is definitely quieter than my dodge truck with a 4" and high flow muffler.

DA BIG ONE
10-08-2005, 00:20
Flowmaster makes a 3" to 3.50" transission adapter cost about $20+- for pair @ summit.

TurboDiverArt
10-08-2005, 13:25
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
Flowmaster makes a 3" to 3.50" transission adapter cost about $20+- for pair @ summit. You can get a 3" to 3.5" adapter at NAPA for about $7. The Flowmaster cone is nice for a smooth transition. I'm not sure I understand the application that needs a cone adapter. Maybe if going from big to small it would have a benefit. When transitioning from a smaller 3" DP to a larger 3.5" main pipe I'm not sure the smooth transition of a cone adapter is going to buy you much.

I used a 3-3.5" adapter from NAPA going from my 3" glasspack muffler to the 3.5" Flowmaster tail pipe.

Art.

Diesel Dan
10-08-2005, 17:01
I'm not sure I understand the application that needs a cone adapter. Maybe if going from big to small it would have a benefit. When transitioning from a smaller 3" DP to a larger 3.5" main pipe I'm not sure the smooth transition of a cone adapter is going to buy you much.Wouldn't it be just like external aero dynamics? If the 3-3.5" adapter had a sharp edge wouldn't it cause more turbulence than the cone style? Now how much it would translate into added power????

TurboDiverArt
10-09-2005, 16:23
Originally posted by Diesel Dan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I'm not sure I understand the application that needs a cone adapter. Maybe if going from big to small it would have a benefit. When transitioning from a smaller 3" DP to a larger 3.5" main pipe I'm not sure the smooth transition of a cone adapter is going to buy you much.Wouldn't it be just like external aero dynamics? If the 3-3.5" adapter had a sharp edge wouldn't it cause more turbulence than the cone style? Now how much it would translate into added power???? </font>[/QUOTE]That's sort of my point. I'm sure a cone is better but how much that translate into benefit I don't know. A 3.5" tube is much bigger than a 3" tube. I doubt the transition makes much of a difference unless it's a pretty extreme performance situation. I don't think it adds up to much.

Art.