PDA

View Full Version : P400 defueles at wot

Vin82k3500
07-13-2013, 21:04
ok this thread may be confusing but I have an older truck that was equipped with a 6.2 that now has a p400 crate engine with a rebuilt db2831-4911 pump been running over a year now tonight for the first time I was racing my buddy in his gp and hit wot and it felt like it ran out of fuel all filters are new first time I ever opened the truck up with a diesel I take it it could use more fuel before I ever considered a turbo I got a banks for it but my instinkt is telling me I need to add more fuel more than air:confused:

DmaxMaverick
07-14-2013, 00:36
You got spanked by a gasser car. No surprise.

If you want to race, get more power. How often do you race? How often do you need to race? Did you lose anything more than a little skin off your butt? If you did, lesson learned. You've said, repeatedly, your truck does everything you need it to. Maybe you shouldn't race with it.

On the other hand, have the two of you hook up to 6K+ of trailer and run again. He'll be so small in the mirror, you'll have time for lunch and cocktail by the time he shows up, if he shows up. It's a truck. It's all relative.

Wanna race? Get/make the right vehicle.

john8662
07-14-2013, 13:03
what RPM did it do it? The 4911 governs around 3600 RPM. It's pulling fuel before it gets to 3600 btw.

J

Vin82k3500
07-15-2013, 03:12
Actually I didnt get spanked we were just horsing but like I said it was the first time I opened it up I dont have a tach but that may be that I hit 3600

it felt like it run out of fuel but like I said first time I ever pushed this thing past 1/4 throttle didnt know if I need to turn up pump but yes it always gets it done

my concern was not racing my buddies 3.8 gp I got a 5.3 impala and a supercharged maxima I could race him with

it was my first wide open throttle experience but my first gear is short so maybey it was that I hit the govorner all I know is I took off peeling out then it almost shut off I gave it the next gear and back to throttleing it to the end of the road

and no maverick I didnt get spanked I got to the end of the road before he did I was just concerned about the shut off

if that was the governer thats all I need to know I just didnt know if I needed to turn up the fuel I have not yet opened the truck up hauling my car trailer

Id hate to be going 70 mph oh a steep grade and have the truck almost shut off though I have never had to hit wot yet

if I sound like an idiot so be it hasnt every one wide opened their truck once in a while

so yeah we were a couple of rednecks acting like teenagers on the back road

and for the first time I wide opened the 12 grand I put in this truck

guess I should have just put that it felt like if defueled or shut off at wide open throttle and spared the insult

Vin82k3500
07-15-2013, 03:20
what RPM did it do it? The 4911 governs around 3600 RPM. It's pulling fuel before it gets to 3600 btw.

J

thanks I will take it into the shop and have them make sure I set the pump right when I put it in the truck because I had to turn the fuel back when I installed it on the engine because I was getting excessive smoke just to make sure I didnt back it off to much

Vin82k3500
07-15-2013, 03:22
You got spanked by a gasser car. No surprise.

If you want to race, get more power. How often do you race? How often do you need to race? Did you lose anything more than a little skin off your butt? If you did, lesson learned. You've said, repeatedly, your truck does everything you need it to. Maybe you shouldn't race with it.

On the other hand, have the two of you hook up to 6K+ of trailer and run again. He'll be so small in the mirror, you'll have time for lunch and cocktail by the time he shows up, if he shows up. It's a truck. It's all relative.

Wanna race? Get/make the right vehicle. I know what I need to race My point was that the truck cut out at wide open throttle no need to race taking it to the shop this weekend just to make sure I didnt back the pump off to much or if I just hit the gov.

DmaxMaverick
07-15-2013, 04:25
No insult intended. You're driving an older Diesel pickup. They're about as far from a race truck you can get, without some serious mods. I've "horsed" around some with these and I know what they'll do, and won't do. It just struck me funny you expected more, and it sounded like you were "racing" (that's the word you used).

It sounds like you hit the governor. As long as it came back when you grabbed the next gear, it's probably nothing more than that. It comes up fast with short low gears.

Vin82k3500
07-15-2013, 14:57
I wasnt expecting more it acted like the fuel was shut off that is why I posted it was not a dissapointment I know its as far from a performace truck as you can get

I guess what I should have said was that me and my buddies were driving like hell trough the nieghborhood on a small town saturday night

I thought using the term racing was more g rated

anyway the reason I made the post was because the truck cut out at wide open throttle like it ran out of fuel but I looked at it today and found that my lift pump was failing

I hooked a pressure gauge inline with the lift pump and the filter today got after it and the pressure dropped almost to nothing

I replaced the lift pump opened it up again and it never dropped below 5 psi so the lift pump fixed it

no its not race ready but I know it is ready to haul the hay I need to haul and get my cross country this fall with my 5th wheel on my vacation

that is what it is built for and I do know that that is why I was insulted but I guess I shouldnt have used the word racing

so the lessons learned I guess

1 if your truck feels like its running out of fuel check fuel pressure before you ask if you are your own mechainic even though this is the only diesel I have owned that I work on

2 never use old diesel truck and racing in the same sentence lol even if your trying to sensor rude behaviors of a bunch of rednecks who are having a more than 20 year overdue get together