PDA

View Full Version : 6.2s...no interest?

joeq
07-14-2013, 13:06
I remember this site "B4 the Duramax", and there was a lot more going on with the 6.2s. It seems the 6.2 is dead to TDP, and it's now all about the latest computerized diesel. I'm not knocking computers, and understand the new changes. Just didn't think the 6.2s would die so hard.:confused:

trbankii
07-14-2013, 13:29
Well, even my 6.5 is twenty years old this year. In PA, it has been a "classic" for five years now and in another five years will be antique.

They're still out there, but the reality is that those that are using a truck to tow or haul have moved on to something newer.

joeq
07-14-2013, 14:48
So what you're saying is, I need to unload my 6.2, and my rotary phone.
Next you'll be saying my roof antenna and tube TVs will have to go. But I refuse to get rid of my type writer!:mad:

trbankii
07-14-2013, 20:17
Not at all - if it serves your needs. I have no intentions of getting rid of mine in the near future.

Yukon6.2
07-14-2013, 21:23
I'll be keeping mine,Thanks.
I'm not part of the computer craze.I want one vehicle i can rely on.
I'm hoping to stock up with enough parts and tools to last a while.
Thomas

TerryY
07-14-2013, 22:14
I am going the other way. I build computers and carry a phone that is smarter than I am at times. My normal rides are an older semi rare BMW and a middle aged Range Rover plus a Mustang Cobra and an Explorer. None newer than 2000 but still fairly high tech. (A few late childhoods there :D)

I recently bought as an early 70th birthday present an almost perfect '83 G20 with the 6.2 diesel because I wanted a simple hauler that will still run no matter what disaster is visited upon us. I just had to learn to drive again but that was simple enough once I remembered what underpowered really means to me today.:)

Dvldog8793
07-15-2013, 04:31
IMHO....the 6.2 and 6.5 non computer rigs are fantastic vehicles. The only downfall is when they are pushed beyond intended limits. I think they handle turbos really great. Two of my diesels will run with only one electric wire once the get going and my tractor needs none. I am going to try to make a cable over ride for the fuel shut off....but you do need electric to get them going....not sure I am up to hand cranking one of these rigs. My 6.2 blazer is something that gets 22-25MPG, goes anyplace, pulls normal loads easy, and plows the snow....bonus is the kids think it is way-cool so it keeps every one happy!

trbankii
07-15-2013, 07:07
None newer than 2000 but still fairly high tech.

I do take a certain delight when I tell someone that I don't even have a vehicle from this century...

TerryY
07-15-2013, 09:37
I do take a certain delight when I tell someone that I don't even have a vehicle from this century...

The 2000 Range Rover is my only venture into this century. I counterbalance it with my '68 Kaiser built CJ-5 V6 which is currently off the road :(

Yes I have way too many things with wheels.:)

More Power
07-15-2013, 11:20
I was at a local gas station yesterday (on my mcycle), and three guys drove in, in a 1980's Chevy 2500 6.2L diesel.... It made me smile hearing it rattle. I nodded to the driver.

The release of many thousands of 1980's era military pickups and SUVs over the past 5-10 years has somewhat rejuvenated interest in the 6.2L diesel. Great rigs, low mileage and a solid investment.

So... there remains interest in the 6.2L diesel. I'm glad for it. The 6.2L diesel still has a place here and it will remain. Jim

BTW - I'm preparing a new story about the 6.2L diesel, which will include a GM brochure for the 1983 C/K that focuses on the 6.2L diesel. Interesting stuff!

Vin82k3500
07-15-2013, 15:24
When I see almost any diesel pickup today I think back on the 6.2 and thing to myself this is where it all began

other companies experimented with diesels gm even experimented with the 5.7 olds diesel in pickups but that was mostly a fail

but when the 6.2 hit the market and the road it stayed for a long while after a few years ford had stepped up with the navistar 6.9 and a few later dodge went with the cummins

and now we have what we have today but I always think to myself it all started with the 6.2 because the 5.7 could have been the beggining and the end of diesels in pickups

AKMark
07-16-2013, 15:00
I won't be getting rid of my 6.2 powered K-5 ever, assuming it doesn't burn to the ground. I'm throwing a 6.2 in 62 Burb and hope to fully restore it and keep the 05 for pulling duty. The K-5 has a SM465, and I'm looking at a NV3500 to go in the 62. The 05 will get an Eaton/Fuller 10-speed if the Allison ever fails. The 84 Suburban may get a new trans, but I probably won't keep that one.

I figure the 6.2's are the perfect "Zombie Apocalypse" vehicles due to lack of electronics, and ability to get going with alternative methods (push start/ether) if needed when the stock components fail and parts are no longer available.

No I don't believe in the Zombie Apocalypse, but it's fun to throw out there.

johncarrol
07-17-2013, 10:02
Nowadays, all of the custom trucks cruizing around with the BIG stacks, tires and lift kits, it's starting to get old knowing that almost anyone can buy one of them newer diesels and bolt on or have someone bolt on something to set them apart from the crowd with enough money. Don't get me wrong, I respect all owners of those trucks because I and they have the satisfaction of owning and driving something not everyone else can. I kinda feel sad that the extra money spent to have diesels come with those trucks will, in my opinion, never be justified by the fact that all of the R&D that went into those diesel engines in those custom trucks will never be utilized. My 1991 GMC has and does almost everything the newer diesels have and do: smoke, rattle, great fuel milage, and power?- I thought that's what the lower gears on the shifter are supposed to do. Do people come up to the newer diesel truck owners and ask them "Is that a diesel-I didn't know they put diesels in anything that old?" I've been asked that many times about my truck. I wonder how the new diesels would run if you filled them up with cheaper heating oil, cooking oil, or possibly automatic transmission fluid? Oh that's right, I forgot, it will void the warranty. LONG LIVE THE 6.2 6.5NA!!!!!!!

joeq
07-21-2013, 07:08
I was getting worried, but you guys have renewed my faith in humanity.:)

tomtaylor
08-20-2013, 10:48
I remember this site "B4 the Duramax", and there was a lot more going on with the 6.2s. It seems the 6.2 is dead to TDP, and it's now all about the latest computerized diesel. I'm not knocking computers, and understand the new changes. Just didn't think the 6.2s would die so hard.:confused:

I love the simplicity of old stuff (almost anything old). 6.2 & 6.5 are very dependable & economical and a lot of people still love them for this, no shortage of parts as they are still being made and sold.
For those of us that don't feel the need to race our trucks against big block gas trucks these engines are just fine for the long term.
I don't need to go 75+ mph with a big load & repairs are very cheap compared to newer high tech systems. Still love these rigs. I even like the Olds 350DX!

joeq
08-20-2013, 11:19
I love the simplicity of old stuff (almost anything old). . I even like the Olds 350DX!

Now that's stretching it Tom. I also agree with the simplicity of it all. Easier to troubleshoot a "non-computer", (for those of us that grew up BC..."Before Computers").

Vin82k3500
08-26-2013, 19:54
I go 80 plus with a load I dont get there as quick as a newer truck but I dont have a turbo or anything that they have to break but it gets there and stays there

NH2112
10-05-2013, 16:30
I love the simplicity of old stuff (almost anything old). 6.2 & 6.5 are very dependable & economical and a lot of people still love them for this, no shortage of parts as they are still being made and sold.
For those of us that don't feel the need to race our trucks against big block gas trucks these engines are just fine for the long term.
I don't need to go 75+ mph with a big load & repairs are very cheap compared to newer high tech systems. Still love these rigs. I even like the Olds 350DX!

I'm the same way, I don't trust electronics AT ALL and want absolutely nothing to do with them for as long as possible. The problem with electronics is that they work perfectly until all of a sudden they STOP working perfectly. Every time you power up or power down electronics you're playing Russian roulette, and to me that's just unacceptable given the price of modern vehicles. I've owned a couple 6.2l trucks and liked them for their simplicity. Neither of my current vehicles have electronics that are necessary for the operation of the vehicle. My F350 does have an electronic ABS module, and it has a stereo - which doesn't work, meaning a 50% failure rate! :D Oh, and I guess the Jeep DOES have electronics necessary for vehicle operation - the ignition module. So maybe I'll start working on the diesel conversion sooner rather than later. :)

joeq
10-06-2013, 10:48
I'm the same way, I don't trust electronics AT ALL and want absolutely nothing to do with them for as long as possible.

This sounds like a comment I heard from Red Green. (The Canadian comedian):D I understand there are some benefits with the electronics in some areas, but the computers need so many sensors to operate, it just increases the odds of destruction. If we all drove on smooth roads in Arizona, we'ld probably feel a little more confident, but excessive heat, vibration, and moisture aren't a suitable combination for these systems. I know if you can afford a new vehicle every few yrs, you'll probably be fine. But I hate having to troubleshoot these things, once they've wracked up some miles.

RMastin
10-15-2013, 18:58
I had pre power stroke , non turbo , what i LOVED about it was "I" could work on anything on the truck , and parts where affordable. I just picked up a 5th wheel trailer , but now i have no truck. The next truck will be a Chevy 6.2 or 6.5 turbo why ?? because when i open the hood i want to be able to see the ENGINE. The new stuff i love , but COME ON , there as much as my first house.

crashz
10-17-2013, 08:19
I've had a 6.2L diesel nearly all my life. I bought my father's old 83 for my first vehicle (still have it sans engine), had another in college, and bought the 87 about 5 years ago. Its the love of the classic square body GM trucks, the nostalgia and possible self loathing that keeps a 6.2L in the shed for me. Every one of them have left me stranded, and I have cost countless hours trying to keep them running. My gas powered rigs never failed to get me home and have had far less repair work involved. I think these things just follow me home.

wpdozer
11-08-2013, 22:29
I have not posted in a while, so I figured I'd chime in on this topic. The simplicity of my M1031 is one of the reasons why I got the truck. Mechanical injector pump, roll up windows, and a heating system that works without vacuum controls. It's also old school, way cool, in my opinion.
Purpose, not creature comforts is what this truck is about. It's not fast, It's not designed to be. It will pull a barn over though, and get's about 25 mpg. I get complements daily on this truck, so that alone justifies keeping it. My avatar says it all, what you see is what you get.

GregCrabb
11-28-2013, 00:59
I haven't posted in a while either...especially since I had to sell my old faithful '86 Silverado....and boy do I miss it! I concur with the sentiments about the computers and such being a big PITA to troubleshoot and work on. Heck, my '07 Cadillac DTS is so fancy shmancy the heated seats don't even work because they draw too much current and keep melting the plastic plug-in connector. Even my VW TDI has its moments....the engine is top notch, but the fuel system is computer controlled. I can work on most of the car, but I have to have a laptop to "talk" to the fuel injection pump! I miss the old mechanical diesels of yesteryear....they were bulletproof. Now I'm beginning to look for another truck...and I'm hunting for either another 6.2 like I had or a newer 6.5 with or without turbo I don't care. Heck,sometimes I look on ebay for the fun of it to see if I can find any Oldsmobile/Buick/Pontiac/Cadillac relic with the 5.7 in it for a good price...sure I enjoy the 292 HP of my Northstar Cadillac now, but I really don't need that much get up and go to be comfortable. Miss you guys on here...I just don't get on here much anymore...maybe that will change soon.

joeq
12-04-2013, 15:32
I've had a 6.2L diesel nearly all my life. Every one of them have left me stranded, and I have cost countless hours trying to keep them running. My gas powered rigs never failed to get me home and have had far less repair work involved. I think these things just follow me home.

I'll have to concur, seeing I just had my 83 towed home "AGAIN", the 2nd time in the past few months. (B4 was fuel pump) This time, water in the fuel, (I'm assuming) cause I see alot of it in my glass primary fuel filter. I put new tanks in it about 10 yrs ago, and emptied about 5 gals of water out of 1, and 2 out of the other. Since the new tanks I've been using Iso-alcohol many times a year to help prevent the water build-up. (guess it doesn't work) Also, my water in fuel sensors must be junk, cause even tho it'll lite on initial start, it goes out as expected, and never comes on after. Now begins the draining of the system. Joys. I guess I should put some pet-cocks on the bottom of the tanks, and drain some out a few times a yr.

diaric
12-05-2013, 11:20
emptied about 5 gals of water out of 1, and 2 out of the other.
Use better fuel, no one should see that much water in a tank.

Of course there's less interest. 25-30 years old trucks. There's fewer and fewer on the road every year. Your also asking on the "dead page"

Subzilla
12-05-2013, 14:26
Had my Sub towed more than a few times but I've put some 200k miles on it (now has over 300k). Never had the K5 towed. The difference is that the Sub was towed to MY garage and I could work on it. As opposed to towing to a $100 per hour garage and let some tech with a computer tell me how much the bill will be so I can then pull out my credit cards and see which one has a credit limit to cover it.

Yes, I too have spent countless hours keeping mine running but these things are very fixable on the road if you carry the right tools with you.

Compare the prices of the things you replace on the 6.2 to a Dmax or Powerjoke or Scummings.

And I also get looks and constant compliments on my old rusty Sub in addition to my much nicer looking K5. The K5 seems to draw the looks more.

And I'm done with my 6.5 experiment. Had the '94 for 2 years and have put lots diagnosing time and money in that....replaced the fuel filter system, the PMD, OPS to get it running fairly good. Still had erratic starting - computer stuff I suppose. Lost my forward gears in the thing a few months ago. Tired of it. Going to sell it.........

Yukon6.2
12-05-2013, 23:54
Well put Subzilla
I have said many times that i will be driving mine till i can't drive anymore.
I like to have control of my vehicle.Add a computer and it's all out the window.Let alone the real new stuff that "The Man" can shut off while you are driving it,no thanks.
Thomas

crashz
12-11-2013, 15:36
[QUOTE=Subzilla;302844]Compare the prices of the things you replace on the 6.2 to a Dmax or Powerjoke or Scummings.

[QUOTE]

Good point Subzilla. The new trucks are beyond expensive to fix. And try to find a reasonably priced Dmax. Even with the injector issues they are priced out of this world. And some are now 12-13 yrs old!

Its destiny as well. These old dogs pick us, not the other way around. There are a certain group of slightly deranged, wackos like us that need to hear the clatter of a rattle box 6.2 to calm our soul. The trucks find us, and make themselves a part of our lives.

Subzilla
12-12-2013, 07:47
I think I'll use that quote on the wife next time I find a vehicle I want to buy: "Honey, this truck found me a few days ago and it really wants to be part of my life. How can I turn it down?"

Like it....

DieselSub
12-16-2013, 18:47
Well folks, I sell aftermarket auto/truck parts. And I can assure you if I were leaving Texas tomorrow for a trip to Alaska, it would be in my 87 V2500 6.2 Sub. The only tools you might need to work on it are available at Sears and the parts are mostly serviceable instead of being a 'remove and replace' piece of junk like the later editions. If you want fast, get a sports car and leave the trucks alone.

I just fell out laughing the other day. Some poor sucker had his lifted 4x4 hooked to a trailer and the poor thing had the rear suspension crushed about 10 inches. They replace the load carrying springs with some 'smooth ride' version not rated to carry anything heavier than groceries. Destroyed another real truck....

Bruce

twaddle
12-19-2013, 21:57
Hi there, My name is Jim and I am a non computerised diesel truck aholic. And, Proud of it.

While the new all singing dancing electronic loaded/controlled trucks are fine when they are running they now mean that once the warranty is finished another mortgage is recommended even before any failure, just in case (in my opinion).
I use a service truck owned by my employer, 2013 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine and barely get 10mpg driving in a careful way but loaded with tools that a heavy equipment mechanic would use (no crane or heavy service body). How anyone can say that things have progressed with modern technology when a 1 Ton truck gets such low mpg. Also with it being a gas engine it has no useful torque at the lower rev range and revs the heads off itself screaming like a Banshee just to get over a wee hump of a hill.

Before I sold up and moved from Scotland to Alberta, Canada I worked self employed as a Heavy equipment mechanic. The last service truck I used over there was an ex US military M1008. A 1984 K30 4x4 pick up with the N/A 6.2 diesel, TH400 transmission, Dana 60 axle on the front end, GM 14 bolt with a detroit locker on the back. And most importantly.... not a single computer in site. That old girl also had 12volt and 24volt on it which was handy for boosting the batteries on 12 and 24 volt powered equipment. 21 mpg, pulled like a train with the 4.56 diff ratio and got me out of most muck holes with the 4WD, and I used it for 10 years as one of the best and most reliable service trucks I have ever had. OK, it wasn't the fastest but it kept up with the flow and it got towed home only once in 10 years and that was due to a damaged steering tie rod which happened while I was on a rough road on a coal mine.
I for one intend to keep running these old types for as long as I can, even if I have to aquire a little cache of spares to keep them going as long as I need them. I do fancy getting a newer shape suburban and converting it to "THE OLD WAY" by heart transplant if I can get away with it.
Being a Scot I will finish with a word of encouragement from a certain Mel Gibson film as I punch the air "FREEDOM"

Subzilla
12-20-2013, 06:12
The crowd roars with cheers..........

twaddle
12-21-2013, 10:51
Thank you Subzilla, I won't make another one of the gestures that they did in the film. Toooo damn cold up here in Alberta to be waving a kilt about at the enemy. Brrrrrrr!!

Jim