PDA

View Full Version : Farewell 6.5...

dieseldummy
10-05-2005, 19:19
Well, It's official that my days of the Detroit designed GM diesel are over with. A nice used '01 Duramax showed up in my driveway tonight to replace it. I've been through alot with my 6.5 and it has been a learning experience for sure. If not for the Page here I wouldn't know nearly as much as I do now. It's very possible that I would have never bought one if not for this page.

Over the time I've owned my 6.5 I have learned a number of things:
</font> Don't think that a big turbo, lots of fuel, and a big trailer are a good combo.</font> Cooling upgrades are a must, although not adequate in some apps.</font> Intercoolers are better off under the bumper...</font> Practice doesn't always make perfect</font> When people say to buy a Cummins to tow with, buy a Cummins</font> Never underestimate the helpfulnes of complete strangers</font> Being on a continual first name basis with the machine shop isn't always a good thing...</font>
There are a host of others that I'm leaving out, but I'm sure you all know most of this anyways. I just want to say thanks to those of you that have helped my understanding of the 6.2/6.5 diesel. I'm not leaving here, just focusing a few forums down now.

Justin

moondoggie
10-06-2005, 04:35
Good Day!

You'll be missed here... :(

Blessings! :D

countrycoach
10-06-2005, 05:09
Congrats on the new truck! Hopefully I will be looking at other forums soon too as the cummins converstion is getting closer and closer!

JohnC
10-06-2005, 06:38
Well, it must be the time of the season...

I picked up my 2006 D/A last night, too. It's amazing how much the technology can advance in 11 years. This truck has more processing power than the first programming company I worked for combined with all our customers...

2004 - Red Sox win the world series
2005 - JC trades in the "Green Monster"

Marty Lau
10-06-2005, 20:00
Justin;

Just don't forget your GM Diesel roots and come and visit us from time to time to get few good laughs.

John;
did you just want a quicker easier transition by trading your 6.5 rather than selling offering to sell it through The Page?

dieseldummy
10-06-2005, 20:33
Glad I'm not the only one trading up. I wish I could have afforded to trade my '93 off. I have way to much wrapped up in it to give it away for a pennies on the dollar... When I traded off my '89 gasser for my 6.5 I thought I was in heaven. The low end torque was amazing (comparatively) and the fuel milage was awsome. Now the same holds true of the Dmax vs. 6.5. The best part is the comfort level has advanced 10 times at least. I also find it satisfying that I didn't pay much more for the Dmax w/70K on it than a buddy did for a '98 Dodge w/110K on it... If thoses Dodges didn't hold their value so well I would probably be driving one now, but I'm very glad I'm not.

I'll be sure to keep stoping by, I'm not much help usually. I try to add my .02 when it seems fit.

Justin

JohnC
10-07-2005, 06:21
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
John;
did you just want a quicker easier transition by trading your 6.5 rather than selling offering to sell it through The Page? There was a reason why I replaced it...

;)