PDA

View Full Version : 6.5TD H1 Hummer Takes Poll at the Grand Challenge Race

TurboDiverArt
10-06-2005, 06:18
Hey All,

If you remember, about a year and a half ago there was discussion about Sandstorm, the 6.2L turbo diesel that was racing in DARPA's Grand Challenge for Robotic Vehicles. Sandstorm was the Carnegie Melon entry. It made it the furthest of all contestants but broke down so no one took home the $1M prize.

This year the race is on again. Carnegie

Craig M
10-06-2005, 08:09
They are doing the qualifying test for the DARPA this week at the Speedway here in Fontana. 20 of the 43 teams will be selected to go to the actual race on October 8th. Watched a few of the entries do the 2 mile or so course at the speedway during a long lunch break the other day. I watched 4 runs. Only 1 of the 4 actually completed the course. Not a good percentage. Actual race will be 150 miles or so in Jean Nevada (ie desert).

TurboDiverArt
10-06-2005, 09:22
Originally posted by Craig M:
They are doing the qualifying test for the DARPA this week at the Speedway here in Fontana. 20 of the 43 teams will be selected to go to the actual race on October 8th. Watched a few of the entries do the 2 mile or so course at the speedway during a long lunch break the other day. I watched 4 runs. Only 1 of the 4 actually completed the course. Not a good percentage. Actual race will be 150 miles or so in Jean Nevada (ie desert). According to the article linked above, qualifying has completed and the participants have been selected. Hummers with 6.5TD's are at the poll and 3rd starting positions.

It would have been cool to watch! Did you see either of the Hummers run? Another one is some BIG 6-wheeled yellow behemoth. At least this year all the selected participants completed a qualifying run. From another article I read, last year not all participants qualified. Because of low entrant count last year they allowed all entrants to run. The furthest anyone got was like 7.5 miles.

Art.

Barry Nave
10-07-2005, 02:11
Any chance this my be on TV?
Speed channel,Discover channel ECT. :cool:

Craig M
10-07-2005, 13:46
DARPA is recording the event. They had video cameras all over the place at the Speedway. I thought I read that it would be web cast, but I was not able to find it. I did not get to see the two Hummers in motion. Did see Tera Max, the real military diesel powered 6x6 Oshkosh 5 ton truck. It was definitely the largest vehicle in teh competion. Tera Max, the 2 Hummers and an 80's Suburban were the most military looking vewhicles in the competion. Many were converted golf carts or similar small vehicles. A few small SUV's and pickups also.

TurboDiverArt
10-08-2005, 13:28
Originally posted by Craig M:
DARPA is recording the event. They had video cameras all over the place at the Speedway. I thought I read that it would be web cast, but I was not able to find it. I did not get to see the two Hummers in motion. Did see Tera Max, the real military diesel powered 6x6 Oshkosh 5 ton truck. It was definitely the largest vehicle in teh competion. Tera Max, the 2 Hummers and an 80's Suburban were the most military looking vewhicles in the competion. Many were converted golf carts or similar small vehicles. A few small SUV's and pickups also. Converted golf carts, that's funny! :D

Art.

20050627|3|008327|000043|65.183.99.20
10-08-2005, 15:30
Converted golf carts, that's funny! :D

Art. [/QB]Only when a 6.5 is part of the conversion

:D :D :D

Craig M
10-10-2005, 06:12
Well the 2 Hummers got second and 3rd place. Lost out by 4 minutes to a team from Stanford. 4 minutes for a 9 hr 54 minute race is pretty close. Stanford had a VW Tourareg. 4 of the 23 teams finised the course.

tom.mcinerney
10-10-2005, 06:31
another article, same storyline--
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000024