PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Diesel Stalls

worldnci1
07-28-2013, 16:01
I have a 1996 GMC 6.5 Turbo Diesel...Stalls, hard to start and has a check engine light. I was told to replace the PMD with a new remote kit...I did that and still stalls, hard to start and check engine light is on. Replace lift pump and filters, bled the system and it started up but dies after a few minutes of running. I was told to replace the oil pressure switch. Is the why I still have the same symptoms as before?
worldnci1:(

a5150nut
07-28-2013, 16:26
Welcome th o TDP and you have found the right place for help. Take a deep breath, then proceed.

Do you have an SES light on or any codes stored?

Check lift pump to see if it's operating. Inside frame rail just below drives feet.

Check for fuel / air at fuel filter. Plastic fitting on top of housing.

With engine running, crack the t handle near the alternator. Does engine stall or are you getting fuel out the hose? Use a catch bottle on hose hanging down next to alternator.

Check the fuel shut off solinoid is working. Have someone cycle the key to see if it is clicking or thumping. Gold cylinder on fule pump.

While cranking, crack a fuel line at the injector to see if you are getting air or fuel. Drivers side is easyest to get to.

Post your results and someone will be along to help you.

If you have a full membership, check the refrence section and download information there. Years of experience and it is invaluable.

Artworks
07-28-2013, 16:31
Cheak ALL grounds and condition of cables. Clean all & tighten all the surfaces. I added at leat 1/2 doz. more grounds . A ground at the back of the motor near the glow relay / fuel manager was just hanging by a thread , re attached a new terminal end and that fixed my stalling problem and also the air bag light went out ! The is also a ground to the frame, on the passanger side under the engine by the turbo. Hard to see unless you pull the tire off. Your ECM ('puter) has to have good "clean " voltage. PS. Make shure you have real good batteries, should have 13 + volts fully charged, if only 12, get new ones!

worldnci1
07-29-2013, 15:29
Thank You for the input...I have read most all the challenges here and seems we all have an issue with the 6.5. I have redone the grounds, removed and cleaned them (as many as I could find) New lift pump does not stay running all the while key is on, engine starts up runs smooth for a couple then dies...acts as if it is out of fuel...crank several minutes at a cycle and it will start again but again dies after a few. Was told to change the oil pressure switch as it is a fuel shut off switch if something happens...bought one and can not find it on this engine. Have found two water sensors but no oil??? If you know Please....I will do all the other suggestions and post my results.
Thank You

worldnci1
07-29-2013, 15:34
I have a scanner and not sure if it will work on diesel??? Auto Ex Ray, one for pre- OBDII and one OBDII.

rapidoxidationman
07-29-2013, 15:47
Your '96 should be OBD-II compliant. There's a port under the steering wheel just below the plastic trim, kinda trapezoid shaped. You'll know it cuz it'll fit your scanner plug. Read the codes, post 'em up in this thread. Clear them and see if they come back.

I'm a big fan of AllData.com/diy ... for a few tens of dollars you can get a subscription for YOUR truck - not a generic overview like a Haynes or Clymer manual - the same info found in the Helms manual the dealers use, and it includes up to date tsb's and such. I bet it'll tell you where the oil pressure switch is too;)

worldnci1
07-30-2013, 08:42
I am doing the scan today and will let you know...as for the oil sending unit, I will go to site recommended and go from there...Thank You.
:D

worldnci1
07-30-2013, 17:18
OK I was hopeful that my scanner would do the job...but the Auto Xray scanner would not fit the scanner port. There is one control wire that fits the port but the pins are in the wrong place...book said I can not jump the pins and have the check engine light give me the code...any ideas where I can gut a diesel scanner or interface cord for this, the manufacturer of the scanner does not list it any more and has no up date to the Easy Link that I have??:eek:

DmaxMaverick
07-30-2013, 23:51
If your scanner connector doesn't fit your 1996 port, it isn't OBD II, and they are NOT compatible. Simple binary vs. multiplexed datastream. There's no "jumping" or other method available. Either you'll need another cable, or a compatible scanner. OBD II will not work like OBD I, meaning, you cannot "jumper" it to allow the SES lamp to give up the codes. You MUST use a scanner to read the datastream, to reveal the codes. Simple OBD II code readers are inexpensive, or you may find an auto parts store or shop to do it free. Either way, you need to get the codes.