PDA

View Full Version : 97 6.5 with pump problems

DieselDavy
08-02-2013, 06:48
Hi guys,
My 97 Tahoe is in "intensive care" and needs some help.
I took it to a regional diesel shop (Craigville Diesel Service) (where dealers send their problem trucks) to get some pump work done. I had to trailer it there as it wouldn't start and run by the time I took it there. (They started it right up of course and got it in the shop....)
Codes are:
P0251 Pump Cam reference Pulse Error
P0370 High Resolution Circuit Fault

After these codes appeared, it slowly deteriorated to the point where it is now.
Now, I'm an electronic design engineer and I understand the technology involved here, but I'm not sure I know how to use the proper terminology as it pertains to the workings of the GM diesels, (ie. Base Timing, TDC, injection closure, etc) So in order to keep me from posting misleading info I've copied the text below from the tech (Jerod) that is working on it now. (He said this one is the most difficult 6.5 he's worked on)
Jerod asks for any ideas that any of us may have. I've passed along John (Kennedy)'s advice to concentrate on the wiring harness especially the 15 pin connector at the rear of the engine. Jerod has already spent considerable time buzzing out the harness but I too believe it is wiring related and he needs to spend some more time there.

Anyway, here is what Jerod's done so far:

Started by installing an encoder sensor (cam sensor). Cleared codes and started truck. Truck still didn't have a signal from cam sensor. It was running in base timing and creating cam misfires per our scan tool. Installed new GM crank sensor. Same result after starting truck. Pulled injection pump and mounted on test stand and found fuel solenoid response time was too long. Pulled head and rotor apart and checked keyway. Installed new armature and set gap. Installed back on test stand and calibrated pump. Installed old encoder sensor and calibration went well. Installed on truck and truck acted same as before. Tested wiring from encoder sensor to PCM. The resistance was OK. Checked for 5V reference and computer was supplying ground. Everything checked OK. Repaired ground Y-connection in factory harness. Kennedy diesel supplied alternative PCM. Truck acted same as before. Installed complete injection pump/PMD (NEW). Truck acted the same. Double checked and repaired ground wires on back of motor and cleaned all connections for grounds on engine and batteries. Installed new encoder connector pigtail on engine harness. Truck acted the same.

Truck cranks 10-12 sec and starts. Truck then runs at full timing and still does not show actual timing reference or injection closure.

Jerod has also checked for air in the fuel system.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

john8662
08-02-2013, 07:13
Yeah, I agree you have a wiring fault somewhere there.

Does your tech have a wiring diagram of this engine?

Might replace the engine harness extension of the wiring harness, it plugs into the two large connectors at the rear of the engine and rides under the intake.

J

DieselDavy
08-02-2013, 07:55
He has the Michell's system for repair centers. Where can you buy the engine harness?
(Thanks!)

phantom309
08-02-2013, 18:49
Have you tried a new FSD??

Nick

rapidoxidationman
08-02-2013, 21:36
have you tried a new fsd??

Nick

installed complete injection pump/pmd (new).

fsd = pmd

DieselDavy
08-05-2013, 08:06
John,
Where can I find a new engine wiring harness?
(John (Kennedy), do you know?
Thanks guys,
dave

john8662
08-05-2013, 09:11
I haven't checked on availability of these from the dealer. This would be the first place you should check. Otherwise a used unit would be in order. You might check with Peninsular Engines (Diesel Page Vendor) to see if they carry this item.

For the C/K Trucks the same harness is used from 94-2000.

The 96+ Turbo Van/Hummer one is different.

DmaxMaverick
08-05-2013, 09:31
I think Painless still makes them, or can make them to order. They are nice, but anything but painless, when you consider where your fat wallet used to be ($$).

DieselDavy
08-05-2013, 12:28
Thanks John and DMax. Do you have any suggestions on how to find the part number for such a harness? (other than bringing a dozen donuts into the local GM dealer parts desk!) Then I'm kind of obliged to order it from them...
I'd think I might be able to get the harness from GM Parts Direct (.com) if I knew the exact number. I doubt Rock Auto would be an option, but until I get a part number I won't know.

DieselDavy
08-07-2013, 07:14
It looks like the engine harness is beginning to look more and more like the next option.
My tech has checked the harness out about as much as he can. Anyone have any ideas on where to find one? Part numbers?
Thanks,