PDA

View Full Version : Which pitman arm?

DickWells
08-04-2013, 14:04
I need a new one, and the data, especially from Rock Auto, is not exactly clear. I'm looking to buy a Moog. R A specs two, one with 3 groves and one with four. DMaxparts doesn't say anything about two different units, just says that their arm fits all from 2001. So, given that I'd like to just place the order with R A, which one do I pick? When I click on 6.6 DM, they send me to a page that lists both.

Thanks, DW

rapidoxidationman
08-05-2013, 16:19
Dick: Looks like (for an '05 at least) the difference is in whether it is a
1/2 ton without crew cab (part number 12471379)
or a
1/2 ton with crew cab or 3/4 ton or 1 ton (part number 12479051).

Do these part numbers look the same as for your '04?

I'm gonna say you need P/N 12479051, but I'm making a few assumptions here...

DickWells
08-05-2013, 17:53
Thanks. I'll check that out by PN. I think that you are probably right, because RockAuto does say something about crew -cab being different.
Probably should have a little egg on my face, because it was this morning before I ever thought about checking in the Helm manuals!:o Been busier than the proverbial one-armed-paper-hanger, so I've yet to go check that source.
I'll let you know, and thanks again.

More Power
08-26-2013, 12:21
I'd be temped to go with a genuine Moog part, unless the known diesel performance aftermarket has a better suggestion. Too many online and brick & mortar auto parts stores sell made-in-china front-end parts.

Jim

Kennedy
08-27-2013, 08:33
The OE is the best choice in my opinion. I've run both and went back to OE. I'd suggest replacing both the pitman and idler arm (OE again) and add the pitman/idler support kits and you will be amazed at how much better the front end feels. The OE idler includes the frame bracket part which is why it is more expensive.

We stock the correct parts with no questions about grooves.

FWIW the correct answer based on every one that I have seen or sold is 3.

DickWells
09-13-2013, 16:06
Well, John, fact is, I never thought of checking you out before I ordered my parts from DMAXparts.com. Sorry, I'll do better next time.:o
I got the Kriptonite box W/oversize balls and a Moog pitman, as well as a new Rancho stabilizer. I changed both the idler and bracket just last last year.

I had found the loose pitman a few weeks back, while doing a chassis greasing. The truck has always handled quite well, but, my first trip up-town showed that things just plain "felt" better, overall. I credit part of this to the new Rancho stabilizer. The old, stock one had no air, or flat spots in it, (at 162K), but the new one felt stiffer, which is to be expected. The funny thing is, that the truck seems to steer easier! Could it be the oversize roller balls in the Kriptonite SG?

Anyhow, I took it up for inspection, yesterday, and asked that the alignment be done. Got a call from the garage, asking why I asked for an alignment, and I told them it was because of the SG change, and that it's recommended. They said, "Okay, but the whole thing is dead on." It's the same service station that I had align it some four years ago, and the 6 degrees of positive caster that I asked for then is still there. Can't convince me that an independent front end is harder to keep lined up than a solid. I'm not putting quite the mileage on that I used to, but I still manage to tow somewhere between 15-20K miles each year, and I hit several bumps, every season. Well, several million, probably. So, I'm not complaining.