PDA

View Full Version : Runs then stops restart stops etc

ulhpilot
08-07-2013, 14:53
I'm starting a complete restoration on my all original (155K miles) '92 C6P Chev K2500. It's been sitting for 5+ years (wrecked) and I'd like to get it running right before starting the tear down. Up until about 4 month's ago all was fine. Every week I'd put the battery in, start it, cycle through the gears, let it get up to temp and shut it down. Truck has fresh fuel. Now it starts, runs for 30 seconds, and stalls. Lift pump running normal. Fuel filter clean. I can get it restarted after cranking for 20 to 30 seconds but the cycle keeps repeating. I suspect an air leak, but wanted to get some input. I'm going to replace the original glow plugs and injectors most likely, but would rather spend the money on other things first. Also any suggestions on injectors, gp's, injector pump suppliers?

thanks,
Mick
(back after many years on the shelf)

Robyn
08-08-2013, 06:42
Do two things right off.

Put a pressure gauge in the fuel delivery line and make sure you are getting fuel.
Put a clear section of tube into the fuel return line and see if you are getting air coming back from the IP

How fresh is the fuel filter ????

Glow plugs
The 60G is the standard now.

Injectors
Get a set rebuilt by a reputable builder in your area
Stay away from online sellers that are not well known.

Or buy new/rebuilt
The vendors here at TDP will take care of you

Make sure the lift pump is actually moving fuel and not just making noise.

Keep us in the loop

Missy

More Power
08-09-2013, 09:27
You're on the right troubleshooting track by trying to eliminate the fuel side of the equation. Here's a link that discusses all things "stalling" or related symptoms that might help.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=2938

Jim