PDA

View Full Version : OPS replacement maxed out the oil pressure gauge

djrednek1
08-10-2013, 15:15
Hi there,

New to the diesel market in general and got my 1994 2500 suburban 6.5 turbo with some issues. Had a power issue with a kind of stutter occasionally and hard starts were the beginning issues. The power issue was fixed by finding the plastic wiring end that goes into the boost sensor was pretty much non existent. Replaced the pig tail there and power was amazing. Heard my turbo power in for the first time.
While searching for the hard start and stuttering issue we found the IP wasn't getting power. We replaced the OPS and now have power and a working IP but still have an occasional stutter. My mechanic said I have no fuel/air leaks in the lines. Since replacing that OPS though, my oil pressure gauge in the dash is maxed out to the right. According to the dipstick, oil level is good so not overfilled. Not sure if this is common or something I should be concerned with.
I am still experiencing hard starts as well. Glow plugs were tested and all 8 are receiving power. Not sure if that is enough or if there is another type of test to see if they are working properly.
Thank you for the help. I tried the search but I don't yet know enough to narrow down what to search for and get too involved and paranoid reading other issues and wondering if I have the same problems lol.

Dvldog8793
08-11-2013, 12:32
Howdy
Glow plugs can be tested with an OHM meter. A good glow plug should read a short from the connector to ground and a bad one would read open.
Replace the fuel filter and clean the filter housing.
Injectors could be an issue depending on how many miles are on them.
You said the "injector pump" was not getting power....? If the injector pump is not getting power it wont run. Maybe this was the lift pump that you are referring to?
The lift pump should be cycling when you first turn the key on...it is mounted in the frame rail under the drivers seat area.
The Pump mounted driver for the injector pump could be an issue. Most of the time when they start to go bad we relocate them...search PMD relocate and decide for yourself.
I would personally, I would try to run the tank as close to empty as you can and the get some stanodyne, amsoil, FPPF or some other super cleaner mechanic-in-a-can for diesels and run that through to see if it helps.
I have no experience with the OPS, but you could check the wires and make sure that you didn't crack/short them moving them around. I thought the oil pressure gauge used a separate sender...

Also check to make sure it is spinning over fast enough...if your starter is weak or batteries are not good it can be a bear to start. Check all battery connections and cables.
Hope this helps....

DmaxMaverick
08-11-2013, 15:30
If your gage is pegged to "full pressure", when it shouldn't, either the gage has issues (probably not, since you also have LP issues), you have some wires crossed/shorted, or you have the wrong sender. If it's the wrong sender, or you have a wiring issue, it may also cause an issue with the lift pump power.