PDA

View Full Version : int. high pressure fuel pump

debtramm
08-14-2013, 08:52
New but found this forum when searching for recent problems with 2012 Chevy Duramax. Was rolling along last Saturday, heard about 5 engine pings, engine died completely and wouldn't restart. Hauled to local dealer, we were 6 hours away from home. After 2 days of trying to diagnose the problem, it now comes down to a internal high pressure fuel pump that has malfunctioned throwing small metal shavings into the injectors. The dealer has been wonderful and everything is under warranty. Truck only has 25,000 miles. My questions are: 1) Will the same brand of HPF pump be used to replace the defective one? 2) What are the odds this will happen again? 3) Is this truck now dependable? We pull a 5th wheel and certainly don't want to be stranded. Am I correct in that Ford also uses the Bosch HPFP in their trucks as well? Any input on this topic would be great. Just wondering what to do here. Thank you. dt

rapidoxidationman
08-14-2013, 15:52
I might be overreacting, but I'd be pushing for new everything downstream of the HPFP. Hard lines, sensors, rails, INJECTORS, return lines, and have them take a close look at the cylinder walls and exhaust valve seats too. Sure good to have it under warranty!

(somebody should be along shortly to tell us why this would be overreacting...;))

debtramm
08-15-2013, 07:02
The dealership has already discussed that everything will be replaced, checked and doublechecked again. dt

More Power
08-15-2013, 08:10
Your engine is equipped with Bosch fuel injection system components. Dodge diesel pickups use a fuel injection system from the same manufacturer. Ford has their own - different system.

If... if the high pressure pump failed in a way that the dealership says, a new pump and related parts should be a more or less permanent repair. I'm sure (I'm hoping) they know what to do in this situation.

Jim

GM Customer Service
08-15-2013, 10:40
debtramm,

We're glad to see that your dealer was able to narrow down the cause of this concern on your truck. Has the repair already been completed? Let us know if you would like any additional support on this!

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Jessica)
GM Customer Care

debtramm
08-16-2013, 07:58
Sarah,

Our truck is at the dealership now in process of being repaired. We are told that the parts are on "restricted" access so I am hoping that will not delay us. We are on a schedule to pick it up on 8/23.
I would like to know if this has been a common problem w/ the HPFP and what replacement brands GM is using to combat this issue? Thank you. dt

GM Customer Service
08-16-2013, 15:41
Sarah,

Our truck is at the dealership now in process of being repaired. We are told that the parts are on "restricted" access so I am hoping that will not delay us. We are on a schedule to pick it up on 8/23.
I would like to know if this has been a common problem w/ the HPFP and what replacement brands GM is using to combat this issue? Thank you. dt

Please keep us updated with the process on how your vehicle is doing at the dealership. Since we only deal with issues on a case by case bases I don't have any information on what is being done to combat this issue.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
GM Customer Care