PDA

View Full Version : starting circuit question

Dvldog8793
08-26-2013, 19:36
Howdy
My 6.2 military blazer has an intermittent starting issue. Three times now the starter has stuck on after the engine is running.

Key switch position has no effect. The only way to stop it is to remove the battery cables and then all is normal.

It did it once with the 24volt starter and twice with a new 12 volt unit.

I can find no common ground to the three times it has happened and the only thing I can think of would be a bad key switch....?Anyone ever had this problem?

It really is HIGH drama removing the battery cable while your starter is cranking like crazy...:D Until I have this figured out I installed a battery disconnect...!
Thanks!!!

joeq
08-27-2013, 13:16
Now that you mention it, a few yrs back, I believe it happened to my 83, and it freaked me out. i think I did have to remove the cable, but don't remember much else. (but I also forget what I had for breakfast). It didn't happen much, and I don't remember pulling the starter. As much of a load on these things, it wouldn't surprise me if the solenoids were the culprit for some reason.
P.S. Do you still have your 67 Goat?

Dvldog8793
08-27-2013, 19:25
The Goat will be part of the family till I am gone. Was my Mom's new and after she killed it racing and let it sit in the woods ten years gave it to me and I restored it when I was 14. Currently needs some TLC but that's coming in the future...:)

I was thinking of the soliniod sticking but thought it couldn't happen with 2 separate starting systems....When all else is ruled out then whatever is left must be it so I getting closer to believing that I was just the lucky person to have two different starters stick.

Thanks !

joeq
08-27-2013, 19:46
I've been a Goat fan for almost 40 yrs now. have had a 64,65,66,69, and72, all 4 spd cars, (the only way to have a 60s hi-po car). I've been currently unable to acquire one, due to financial hardships, but if the future ever brightens up, I'ld love to get a 67, 68, or 70. they're on my bucket list.
i hope your stuck starter symptom goes away like mine did. good luck with it.