PDA

View Full Version : WTB 6.5 or 6.2 heads....

Ben613
08-27-2013, 19:29
I'm in the market for a set of heads...possibly some pre-cups too. I also need to know what the differences are between the 6.5 and the 6.2 heads? Would prefer local but will consider otherwise.

Thanks

More Power
08-28-2013, 12:36
Beginning in the 1991 model year, GM changed the angle that the injectors screwed into the cylinder heads to be more upright (to make more room for the upcoming 6.5 side mounted turbocharger). So, the 1991-1993 mechanically injected 6.2/6.5 heads require different steel injector lines than the 1990 and earlier 6.2 cylinder heads. Jim

Ben613
08-31-2013, 20:58
Not looking for heads anymore!!! I found a whole hummy 6.2 engine for parts!

Ben613
09-11-2013, 19:43
The hummy engine didn't pan out...So, I've got to find either another whole engine...or a set of heads. Around MN would be great!

Thanks

Robyn
09-15-2013, 10:50
Hi

The sad news is that most heads that come off used GM engines at this date are going to be junk, or need a prohibitive amount of $$$$ spent to rehabilitate them.

Even a reworked set is likely to have cracks between the valves, and if they go into water it's a fatal flaw.

This can be fixed with some good results, but it's not going to fail at a handy time.

My suggestion, if your looking to save some $$$ and get good result, call up Clearwater Cyl head in Florida and order a set of their "New ones"

Yes, they are Chinese castings, but are pretty good heads.

I have personally used these with good outcome, and would do so again.

You can buy used junk, spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on them and in sort order have another failure.

I personally would not touch a used set of GM heads at this point in time.

The last GM heads were made in 2000, thats 13 years ago and a bazzzzilllllion miles, with gawd knows how many times of being too hot.

The plus on the clearwater heads is that they have ZERO DUTY TIME.

You can get New AMG heads, but they are pricey.

The Clearwaters are sent to your door with a return ticket for your old ones.

JUST AN FYI
They scavenge the valves, springs and such to reman and use in their new castings.

The last set I bought were $700 (pair) to the door and that was bolt on ready.

You can spend $100 for a set of used ones, then have them reworked for $200-400 depending on what they need.

They are still high milers with any number of faults that you can't see.

If you want dirt cheap, it's not in the cards with these engines.

The cost of used junk, plus new bolts, gaskets and such, plus your time does not pencil out to the cost of a fresh set, especially if the used ones fail.

oldmechanic
09-15-2013, 16:48
I have some unused military 6.2 cucv heads I will sell for $100 ea plus ship