PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

Tug75
08-27-2013, 20:13
Hope someone can set me at ease, with the limited info I have available. I recently came to a verbal agreement on the purchase of a 2006, 2500 duramax turbo, with the Allison trans. The vehicle has 150k on it and appears to be in excellent condition. The truck has set idle for some time. The gentleman started the truck today and the check engine light came on. He has put it in the shop for inspection. I understand there could be several hundred things that make the cel activate, but was wondering if this is a relatively common occurrence. I am new to the duramax world and was hoping someone could ease my mind..

Thank you for any response in advance

DmaxMaverick
08-28-2013, 00:01
Welcome aboard!

We can talk, guess and speculate all day, and be totally wrong (common). You need to know what the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is before trying to diagnose what my be insignificant, or fatal. Optimistically, it could be as simple as a bad glow plug, or just a ghost code. Long idle periods can cause issues, such as voltage anomalies, which are nothing to be the least bit concerned about. Get the code(s), and we can go from there.

More Power
09-11-2013, 14:28
Like Greg said, got to know what code(s) is/are being set as a first step.

"Before buying a late model used Diesel, try it out long enough to get a handle on the fuel economy and general performance. Your local GM dealer has access to the warranty repair history of this truck using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System. Your dealer only needs to do a lookup on the truck's VIN, to verify whether or not the truck you're looking at has been a problem for its previous owner. The only time you have any real leverage with the dealership (or a private seller) is before you sign the papers, so make this a condition of sale."

Offer the service manager a fee if he balks at providing a vehicle inquiry for a provate sale.

Carfax.com can also provide information about the truck, if it's been involved in an insurance claim (collision or water damage).

Trouble code P0087 is a reoccurring theme with the 2006+ trucks. If the CEL is related to an 87, there's more reading here in this forum that can help to explain the causes and ultimate resolution.

Good luck.

Jim