PDA

View Full Version : Big and Nasty front replacement bumpers

gimpyhauler
09-06-2013, 13:08
I've been trying to research large protective front bumpers. Since moving to Oregon, I see them everywhere. Recently saw an HD truck that didn't update his front bumper and hit a deer. Want to avoid that at any cost. But to be honest, the ones I see in my searching look fairly light duty compared to some I've seen here.

Anyone have the latest on extra large protective (w/winch and Extra lights) bumpers w/brush guards?

I love my truck and just want to protect it from large critters. Without insurance needs or replacing parts after I hit one. Willing to pay the price for substantial (heavy) front protection.

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2013, 15:02
Ranch Hand is middle of the road, heavy but not too heavy. Don't spend less on your bumper than your collision deductible, because if you hit anything substantial, you'll be replacing it anyway.

gimpyhauler
09-06-2013, 15:39
I hear you. I just need to know that when it happens, my family and I will be protected. Less likely to have the body going over and hitting the windshield. Not to mention that soon I'll be on the ranch full time and will be using the truck and winch for clearing trees, stumps and dragging logs. A very heavy and stout bumper will likely get a work out.

Saw one on a Dodge that looked like it came off the front of a Tank.

Substantial is the key. Don't want a cheap one that I'll have to replace if I hit a deer. But some of the ones I've seen on trucks, a deer won't harm the bumper let alone the truck.

Yukon6.2
09-06-2013, 17:24
Hi Gimpyhauler
I have an Ali Arc on my Kenworth,it has hit a moose and is only tweaked a bit,you can't tell unless you know it's tweaked.
I have seen Ali Arc's on pickups,i keep hoping to find a used one for my truck but no luck.
They are made of aluminum and tough,another great product from down under.If i was driving for a living i wouldn't have a truck without it.I usually am only out in my Kenworth once a week,but still nice to not have to worry about the hood.

gimpyhauler
09-06-2013, 17:58
Yukon,

Very cool truck products. If I had a commercial rig, I'd be interested. Love the rake.

But what I'm looking for is a more substantial steel bumper. Big difference between the strength of what they build for commercial trucks v pick-ups.

I need a winch mount. The one I saw and didn't get to talk to the guy had 4 lower standard "fog light" cutouts and mountings for 4 extra driving lights midway up. The lower portion looked like solid heavy steel up to the bottom of the radiator then air flow and lighting. It had a wrap around headlight protection. On the steel front, there were hefty D-ring mounts. The winch would be fully covered.

On a 2500HD, it looked like it could take on a tractor/trailer. I'd bet the farm I would not be able to lift one end myself. Well, maybe once before I go to the hospital. Know what I mean?

Thanks for the lead.

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2013, 19:27
Any bumper than isn't too heavy to hang on the front of any light truck won't survive a deer at 60+ MPH (Newton figured that out a few years ago). The "bumper" part might survive with minimal damage, but the rest (grill guard, etc.), they go right to the paint. It may help prevent a moose, horse or taller animal from going over, but little else, and not much in damage prevention.

Hitting a stationary 200 pound animal at 60 MPH will impact about 30,000 ft/lb of energy onto the vehicle.

gimpyhauler
09-07-2013, 08:33
Hitting a stationary 200 pound animal at 60 MPH will impact about 30,000 ft/lb of energy onto the vehicle.

I know the math and science. Yet I have also seen a couple of vehicles myself that had hit a deer on the road and sustained only minor marks or no parks on the large bumper/grill guard. The vehicle were driven off with little damage.

Just as the newer crash tests on vehicles have changed. They used to test driving a vehicle into a solid wall to determine safety. You don't see those particular test anymore simply because the test didn't really test what they needed. Now they are more real world.

Not many deer strikes are of a deer standing still on the road with a vehicle bearing down on a standing, broadsided animal. Most are actually types of glancing contacts. I get your point but I still want that big strong steel bumper for my truck.

EdHale
09-08-2013, 04:15
This is what they use in Australia to keep kangaroos from destroying their vehicles. Some of these "Roo Bars" for big trucks and buses are amazing.

GMC D-Max
09-08-2013, 16:02
I hear you. I just need to know that when it happens, my family and I will be protected. Less likely to have the body going over and hitting the windshield. Not to mention that soon I'll be on the ranch full time and will be using the truck and winch for clearing trees, stumps and dragging logs. A very heavy and stout bumper will likely get a work out.

Saw one on a Dodge that looked like it came off the front of a Tank.

Substantial is the key. Don't want a cheap one that I'll have to replace if I hit a deer. But some of the ones I've seen on trucks, a deer won't harm the bumper let alone the truck.

http://www.perkinsperformance.com/

These bumpers are made from 1/4" steel plate. Probably the most indestructible, heavy-duty bumper you can buy.

gimpyhauler
09-08-2013, 21:09
Now those are what I was looking for. They appear very stout.

Thank you. Don't know why they don't come up in s google search.

gimpyhauler
09-12-2013, 21:02
Just today talked to a guy at Big R that had a Ranch Hand replacement number. I had to ask. He's hit a couple deer and a 600 pound elk. He also said he hits plenty of other things also. I think they are where I'm going to get a bumper. 4" thick wall steel pipe.