PDA

View Full Version : Time to change antifreeze, thinking of Cat ELC. Opinions?

greatwhite
09-12-2013, 06:30
So my current fill of DEX cool is comming up to it's end of calender time life cycle and will require a flush and fill. It's not to the miles number, but calender time is almost up.

The flush will be done properly on a flush machine, not with a garden hose.

I haven't had any problems with the dex cool and it's performed it's job adaquately.

But I am wondering if I can get something a little better for the cooling system since I'm changing it out anyways. A little better protection for the water pump cavitation, a little better for the iron block, a little better for the heater core, a little better for seals and hoses, etc. I don't mind spending a few more bucks for a better product since my Optimizer was a pretty penny to start with. I don't pinch pennies in luibricants, filters nor will I with coolants. I'm willing to pay more to get something better.

So, I'm pretty sure Missy runs CAT coolant if I remember, anyone else?

Any problems with running it in a 6.5 after a thorough clean out of the Dexcool?

Please, no "GM put Dexcool in it so stay with it" comments. If there's a reason why CAT ELC (or any other ELC) shouldn't be used, that's something I would like to know.....:)

Robyn
09-12-2013, 07:22
FWIW

Back a couple years we stopped running the Red stuff in the Cat and went to good old standard GREEN JUICE

The secret to long life and trouble free operation is the water you mix it with.

I used filtered water the last time, but distilled is better, as you dont get the nasty minerals and stuff.

Just keep a check on the stuff to be sure that your additive package is good. (this stops cav erosion and such)

If your worried about the water pump, you can add a bit of the liquid from a jug or BARS LEAKS. This is soluble oil and will help the pump seals

The big deal about the DEX COOL was a lot of hoopla that Cat sent out a bulletin about. The bulletin advised against it.

The best part of standard green juice is that you can in a pinch, add straight water or antifreeze.

Even if you can't get the same identical brand, nearly every standard green glycol will happily mix with the next one.

If you mix anything odd with the red stuff, it can turn the entire cooling system to JELLO :eek:

Go green, be happy.

As long as you keep tabs on the system every 6 months or so with a dip strip. your good. (tests the additive pack)

When we dumped the Red stuff, the coolant was drained, then the system was flushed with THE GARDEN HOSE :D then the shop filled the system with a light mixture of Calgon non foaming dish washer detergent to clean out things.

Then the dropped everything one last time, rinsed it again, then filled with 50/50 green and distilled water.

Stay away from the premixed stuff. just use plain green and distilled h2o

OHHHH
The ELC is spendy as hell, and you really get nothing for your $$$$$ and again, you can't mix anything with it in a pinch.

Example, your out and lose a hose, sooooooooo, fix the thing, fill the system from the river running alongside the road and then add enough green later to bring the freeze point into spec. Lifes good.

Do this with ELC and the entire load is crap.

Missy