PDA

View Full Version : 97 6.5L Help

JesseMR
09-12-2013, 13:34
SO I have recently purchased a 97 3500 6.5L. Got an incredible deal on it as the previous owner said it had a blown engine. I towed it back to my place and it fired right up and purred. the next day I fired it up again (after and extended time cranking) and it ran for about 5 min then died. the fuel bowl was empty. i installed a new lift pump just for the peace of mind and purged the bowl. It fired up and ran for about 30 seconds then started to what seems like a misfire then die.fuel bowl is empty again. ran 12v directly to the pump and the symptoms remain the same. ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated as I know little about Chevy diesel engines

john8662
09-12-2013, 15:53
You're running the lift pump to prime the fuel filter housing right? Open the top valve on the fuel filter housing while the lift pump is running to prime the filter of air.

A couple more things come to mind in your situation.

Fuel Level?

Run It without the fuel cap, possible plugged fuel cap. These caps are designed for DIESEL letting air into the tank. If a gasoline cap is used it causes issues.

Pressure up the fuel system from the tank and beyond with some shop air and look for wet fuel lines. Air getting into the lines prior to the lift pump will cause the system to suck air verses fuel.

You might also have a plugged fuel sock in the tank.

J

Warren96
09-25-2013, 06:08
Try reading the post in the 6.2 liter engine site "Finding air in the fuel system" its the 3rd one from the top. It can tell you everything you need to know, and more than i can type.Oh, I almost forgot, "Welcome to the "Diesel Page"!