PDA

View Full Version : a little help please

Robmears
09-15-2013, 08:00
My blazer is a uncle sam issue 1009. so it had only the must have instuments. And a stereo wasn't one of them. My question is, what's the best way to hook one up? Is my system only 24 volt at the starter?

Dvldog8793
09-15-2013, 18:04
Howdy
I have a m1009 and have done ALLOT of things with it. The stereo and 24-12 volt system are not that difficult to handle. It really depends on your level of electrical savvy. If you can run a multimeter you will have NO problems. The fuse panel inside should only have two 24 volt taps the rest is 12 volt. If you are going to install just a basic radio that is no problem. If you want something with a high power draw then you might want to consider installing a separate 12 volt relay system or convert to 12 volt. Both of those are fairly easy.
How electrical are you?

Robmears
09-18-2013, 05:57
Thanks dog, now I have a basic understanding of my m1009 electricle system. I will admit, wiring is not my strong point. I would like to put an amp and high power system in it.

Dvldog8793
09-20-2013, 13:43
If it was my rig I would convert to 12 volt. It will make things simpler for what it sounds like you want to do. The cost of a new starter is about all you will have in parts. You end up with a spare alt and one less belt to replace.
This is a good step-by-step:

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

This is a proven method by a gov agency that gives you a couple of options. The only thing to be mindful of is if anyone has messed around with the original electrical system then you might have some glitches.

Once you get the conversion then all you have to do is wire your sound system as in the directions that come with the components. You will find that there is limited places to mount speakers. I would go with enclosed boxes of some sort mounted to the bed walls in the back. Best bet for front is an aftermarket kick panel with speaker mounts molded in. Bazooka makes a nice small sub the can be mounted under topper lip in the back .

Hope this helps !
Thanks!