PDA

View Full Version : First time replacing LB7 injectors

WDaniels
09-15-2013, 17:25
3 months ago I was getting fuel in my 2003 Chev. 2500 Duramax truck and I left the fuel tank open and proceeded to the automatic carwash. Water and liquid from car wash got in my fuel tank. I put the recommended amount of SeaFoam in the fuel system on two different tankfuls and have been running Lucas fuel treatment every other tankful after the incident. Today I am attempting for the first time to replace all fuel injectors. I am replacing them because the truck was smoking and two dealerships did a balance test and said they were bad. While removing fuel supply lines today, I found a lot of rust and a couple lines had a yellowish green liquid in them on the injector nut side. I checked the dip stick. The oil looks good. I plan on changing out the supply fuel lines also. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure that I have fully corrected the problem? I welcome any helpful suggestions.:confused:

More Power
09-16-2013, 10:10
If you're referring to the common rail lines that connect to each injector, yes, rust is frequently discovered under the nuts. Mostly, the rust is from water or cleaning solutions that find its way into the space between the line and the nuts during powerwashing or road splash.

As a result, more Duramax mechanics are replacing the hard lines as a matter of course when changing the injectors. The rust is on the outside of the line fitting areas, not inside - the fuel side. If you have rust on the inside, you may have other problems, possibly caused by the open fuel filler neck episode. A complete fuel system flush may be in order if that's the case.

Jim

Kennedy
09-16-2013, 14:08
We replace all the high pressure supply lines automatically with an injector job. I have a tech Tip on my site showing a sectioned injector line and where the rust occurs:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax%20LB7%20Injector%20Line%20Corrosion.pdf