PDA

View Full Version : wont stay running

tcenzi
09-17-2013, 12:44
Hey guys I am new to this forum but reading thru some of the threads looks like a bunch of great guys. I have a 04 chevy 3500 with 6.6 duramax I don't drive the truck very much. Sunday I was looking at it and decided I would wash and wax it and drive it since it has been about a month. I took it to the gas station and filled it to about a half a tank drove it home cleaned it> got up the next morning to drive it to work. Got about 4 houses down and it stalled got out pumped the fuel primer and it started again but quit after about 30 sec. tried that several times with the same result. after work I put a new fuel water filter in and tried to start it I primed it then bleed it now the truck will run for about 3 min but if you try to give it any throttle it dies. again if you let it idle I will run for about 3 or 4 min. any help would be awesome thank You

Kennedy
09-18-2013, 08:51
Assuming you fueled with clean fresh diesel.

Sounds like a major air leak somewhere. It could be in the filter head itself, the filter etc. The filter head is easily repaired with a $20 kit. The filter should never be one of the black plastic units as they tend to leak and have minimal media inside.

When you work the hand pump you should build pressure in the system from the filter to the pump. If there is a leak it should show itself.

Every Dmax should have a lift pump added to keep the fuel system under pressure at all times when running.

Starting point for every fuel supply related issue is here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Dmax-fuel-filter-rest1.gif