PDA

View Full Version : Belt driven superchargers on 6.5 td?

scottm
09-23-2013, 17:16
Has anyone ever tried a belt driven supercharger like a Paxton or Vortech on their turbo diesel? I think they would produce a more linear power curve, since boost would be proportional to rpm. Then you could run proper headers on the exhaust, and have less bulk and heat under the hood. You would lose the energy recovered from the exhaust, but the benefits might be worth it.

Dvldog8793
09-23-2013, 17:23
Superchargers generate heat by compression.
Superchargers take power to make power.
Supercharger systems can be more complex than a turbo.
Supercharger would not be a adaptable or changeable as a turbo
not so sure the same boost levels are there...?
If some modifications were made you could open up the exhaust on a turbo to be almost as free flowing as a header.

Just some quick thoughts...

scottm
09-23-2013, 17:35
Compressing air always makes it hotter - universal gas law.
Turbochargers get it even hotter than superchargers, since it shares the housing with the hot exhaust side. Yes you would lose the free energy in the exhaust, but you would gain efficiency from proper headers. I am just wondering if anyone has tried it, it might work great on a 6.2 na.

scottm
09-23-2013, 17:53
I probably should have just searched first.. According to this, a blower alone is generally not a very good setup, except for gm 6.2/6.5 engines!

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1208dp_supercharge_your_diesel_truck/

Dvldog8793
09-23-2013, 18:58
interesting article....I would bet that the main reason no one does it for normal rigs is the cost. Same as gassers the cost of the quality supercharger never really made it worth while for street rigs.....
How about two smaller turbos....one on each side with quicker spool times more efficient exhaust flow....ICs would also be needed....anything is possible with a sizable infusion of cash....:D

phantom309
09-23-2013, 22:38
I probably should have just searched first.. According to this, a blower alone is generally not a very good setup, except for gm 6.2/6.5 engines!

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1208dp_supercharge_your_diesel_truck/

Search you tube for "supercharged 6.5 diesel"

plenty of examples,.

greatwhite
09-24-2013, 14:15
Popular with some of the H1 gents and the 6.5 diesel guys from "down under"...