PDA

View Full Version : Dorman PMD

Tirediron
09-24-2013, 07:18
First thanks to all the members for sharing info and insights on this site.:cool: I have lurked here since I first got my '93 K3500 6.5 dually, Actually bought the truck with swapping a 468 propane BBC in mind, but the 6.5 has lived
We bought a '98 K3500,(5 Speed) with a fresh 6.5 hummer longblock at an auction. Figuring that when the DS4 system got too annoying we would swap to DB2 and have reliability. But the truck runs and drives so nice until it dies we decided to try a fresh PMD and give the DS4 a chance. Started looking for a local replacement. $ 358 for a stanadyne grey "bullet proof"(just like the one on the cooler in the bumper) 6 month warranty. $ 401 for a blue streak IPM1 , but 3 year 36000 mile warranty (looks like a D tech) and then finally found a Dorman for $ 250 with a limited lifetime warranty,(this one looks thicker in the pics) which they have a reputation for standing behind. It should be at the local parts store on Wednesday along with a relocation kit (for the harness) and I will see if it solves the trucks problems,
I doubt if I can post links yet , site is dormandiesel.com/ you add the www.

More Power
09-24-2013, 10:31
Yes, the Dorman module (formerly known as a DTech module) has been around for several years. If it's the same module as what was originally marketed/sold as the DTech, that's the one recommended and installed at GM dealerships. GM & Stanadyne (maker of the grey module) had a falling out over the failure-prone original black PMD module.

We always recommend electronic 6.5 owners try to solve the electronic problems before giving up and converting to mechanical fuel injection.

Welcome to the board!

Jim

Tirediron
09-27-2013, 19:23
Well I installed the Dorman FSD(both the module and cooler kit say made in china) , I guess it is not a PMD anymore if it is mounted on a cooler in on the bumper, had to use the old wiring harness, because the wires are not stock at the pump, but is starts, runs drives, doesn't stall. so I guess that part is solved, it also seems to run better than it used to, I didn't put a resistor in, I want to pull a load with it and watch the boost and pyro and the temp first, My '93 I always have to back out because of coolant temp.

john8662
10-01-2013, 08:41
The Dorman units are not the same same as a Dtech.

The Dorman unit is a copy of the Flight Systems module, which Dtech is.

The Dorman is a copy made in China and I would not trust this module.

J

arveetek
10-01-2013, 19:39
Can you still purchase a new Dtech module?

I'm still running a Dtech unit that is several years old now. Lasted at least three or four times longer already than a new Stanadyne driver I purchased the first time.

Casey

Kennedy
10-04-2013, 08:50
I have a few of the Dtech units here and I'm sure they are still available. I just don't trust them. I have had much better results from the gray Stanadyne units when properly installed on a properly sized cooler.