PDA

View Full Version : 1994 K1500 6.5 TD No Start, No voltage to PMD

ct864x4
09-25-2013, 10:27
I have a '94 K1500 6.5 turbo with 166,000 miles on it that is not running. It turns over fine and fast but will not fire off. I came by this truck in a non-running condition and do not know it's history other than the PO saying that he parked it, came back to it about an hour later and it would not start. Did specifically ask about symptoms leading up to the issue. He said nothing to speak of, just that it was running fine, parked it that day and then it was dead.

So I did the visual inspection under the hood and beneath and all seems to be as it should be w/o any noticeable damage, leaks, burn marks, erroneous wires/hoses, etc. I have cleaned all of the grounds and batt terminals under the hood with a wire brush and reinstalled. Replaced the starter (turned very slow with new batteries), changed the air/fuel filter. I was running through this check list that a friend sent to me and covered the following:

1. Fuel in the tank - OK

2. Glow plugs - OK. All showing 0.8~1.0 Ohm on mutlimeter, continuity back to controller, 12V @ controller and 12V on the other terminal when turning the key w/ glow plug light on dash on. Have not taken them out and check heat however.

3. Fuel getting to IP - OK. Got fuel from the air valve thing on top of the fuel filter, from the hose by the T-handle.

4. Fuel return - OK. Pulled hose from the front side of IP, placed short length of hose on fitting. Truck still would not start, and I got fuel from that port.

5. Service engine soon light functioning? - OK. Yes, it lights on the dash when I turn the key.

6. IP Optical sensor check - OK. Disconnected as I read this will put the truck in limp mode and might run (as long as CPS isn't bad). Truck did not start.

7. Engine shutoff solenoid - OK I think. Got voltage across the two wires at that connector.

8. Verify engine getting fuel - OK I think, little shaky here. I loosened the injectors and turned the engine over. It was wet beneath them when I looked again. Not a lot of help around last night so I don't know if it was a stream or a dribble?? Was bone dry before, and wet after I turned the engine over a few times. I may need to spend a little more time on this one, but I think it's OK.

9. PMD - inspect connector for damage - OK. It is a second PMD (this one is gray where the original was black if that matters). It is connector to an extension harness and is mounted on the drivers side of the intake manifold. connectors are in good shape, all wires have continuity.

10. PMD - check power and ground - OK. Got 12V on pink wire coming to the PMD grounding to intake man, and 12V on black wire in position C on PMD when connector red test lead to pos battery terminal. Got 12V on both PMD black wires for that matter.

11. PMD - Test voltage on green PMD connector wire - FAIL. Had ground lead on intake manifold and red lead on terminal behind green wire in PMD harness. While cranking I was looking for ~1.2V, got nothing. Cleaned connector and wire-brushed area of the intake manifold, tried again and still no voltage while cranking.

Does this mean I've got a bad ECM? I'm very lost about the next step here. I've seen a few posts around about checking for that voltage, but not a lot about what to do or what the problem might be if the voltage isn't there. Hopefully I'm not the first one to fail this test?!?

I had the top of the intake manifold off to get at these IP harnesses and wires, and the only other thing I can mention is that while I was trying to crank the engine, I was getting a fair amount of whitish vapor or smoke back up out of the intake. Could have well been from that EGR port, I was looking between the bottom of the hood and the dash trying to see what I could.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a good next step? I'm pretty familiar with the older 6.2's but this 6.5 seems to have quite a few more gizmo's on it that those did!

I welcome any feedback and thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can offer!