PDA

View Full Version : Starter Clicking....

FrankieRider2
01-09-2005, 15:03
Hello again from Arkansas. I tried a search on this topic, but couldn't find aything.

I've got a problem with my starter, I think.... anyway. I'm getting the "clicking" when you try to crank the engine. The number of times varies on each attempt.... sometimes one, sometimes three, sometimes it starts normally when you turn the key. But more often than not, it clicks a few times first.

The starter has been removed twice and checked because of this, and each time I've been told "there's nothing wrong with it".... I've cleaned my battery connections good and checked that they are tight, bottom and top. The cables appear to be in good shape too. But still the clicking continues....

Has anyone else experienced this? The single interesting thing I've noticed recently is that when it is cold outside, the starter will click "forever" before it will engage.... twenty times or more. It does this even if then truck is plugged up (which it always is if the temp is low).

If the problem is in the starter itself, what could be wrong that the starter shops are missing? I have recently been told that Delco brand starters are bad about doing this, even brand new ones.

I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might have for me. Thanks a lot.

Beedee
01-09-2005, 17:41
Frankie
Have you had your batteries checked? Usually when a starter clicks it is because there isn't enough current to pull the solenoid in. Get both batteries tested with a good load test, if they are good, and you have had your starter checked, I would do a closer check on the cables, pull the covers back and look for any corrosion. Check ALL your conections, check where the ground cable grounds to the block, clean it up with some emery till it shines. As for Delco starters being bad, first I have heard of it, but then I'm heavy duty, not automotive. ;)
Good luck
Brian

KallyI
01-09-2005, 19:37
FrankieRider2, I have owned many GM vehicles over the past 35 years, and one thing every GM vehicle has had in common, all along, is the problem you are describing. At the current time, I own 3 GM products, a 1978 Z28 Camaro, a 1992 Cavalier, and my 1997 6.5L GM K2500. All 3 have done this in the past few years. The problem is the starter drive solenoid, or bendix, not pulling the gear on the starter in towards the ring gear on the flywheel/torque converter. This is usually due to wear, or dirt, binding the gear, and making it resist. A new starter drive solenoid is what is needed. Check this link out:
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/aa080203b.htm
Hope this helps you get your starting problem fixed.

moondoggie
01-10-2005, 09:23
Good Day!

I have had EXACTLY your symptom on each of my trucks (see my profile) at least one time. Most of these were the lifetime-warrantied (now 3 year warranty) NAPA starter. Unfortunately, I have no idea who the rebuilder is. Fortunately, my local NAPA stood behind the last starter, even though it was over 3 years old.

The last time this happened, I had finally made my guess that some form of what FrankieRider2 described was happening

rjwest
01-10-2005, 12:42
When I replace the starter, I add a wire
from the solenoid + post and run it up to the
area near the battery,

" Emergency " solenoid start ....(jumper it to battery)

Most of the time It will " pull " the solenoid in when the ign key does not.

tom.mcinerney
01-10-2005, 19:25
RJ-Nice trick!
Moon-NAPA used to have good quality stuff. I was warned about 15 tears ago (by an auto electric rebuilder) that a lot of the commercial rebuilds are poor quality. My current impression is that the problem has become chronic, and worse. A factory new/reman may be great, or may be a piece of crap(particularly if it really isn't as described). I'm fortunate to deal direct with local rebuilders....
I think the reason the problem is chronic is that everybody wins , except for the intended driver! If i can't deal with a rebuilder, i'd probably opt for a warranted sale....

rjwest
01-11-2005, 16:02
In an effort by US manufactures to cut costs,
They have removed Quality Control and moved this operation to the custumer.......

When I drop a starter, I install the extra wire, also lenghten the control wire from the harness.

If you remove the BIG RED wire from the battery, and
loossen the clamp, that with the extra added wire length allows the starter to be droped to ground level. easier to remove/replace wires with starter on the ground......

OK ., Why the trouble.....

I carry an extra starter ( old one ).

When yoiu are " WAAAAAYYY BACK in the woods.
in the mud... makes it a lot easer....

Been there, done that, long story.....