PDA

View Full Version : Bone stock '98 K2500 desert truck with 230,000 DEAD RIGHT THERE (DRT)

BillysGoat
09-27-2013, 14:26
Picked this up a while back from a guy that relocated and bought the truck from his Brother-in-Law to move back to Michigan from Arizona. I was happy to get the truck for $2500, our Northern trucks turn to rats, this desert truck has been used but it's clean. Bone stock 6.5 Turbo other than an PMD relocation kit to the top of the plenum. So, I was plowing with it last winter and it was like "someone reached over and turned the ignition off...". And there she sat until I was freed up a couple of weeks ago, that's when I started tinkering. Replaced the frame rail pump, new fuel filter purged the bowl, checked the return line, bled the injectors, then back to the top to look around and start getting into sensors and wiring immediately troubled by the number of snapped wiring harness locks and what IS that mess going to the PMD, working through the PMD today it just didn't add up why I had a dead PMD that I had replaced with a known new PMD and I have another dead PMD again. I started to trace back the wiring harness from the PMD opening the electrical tape as I went and found soldered connections that had been individually shrunk wrapped and then taped providing just enough pressure and friction to rub through and solder together. This think would have eaten one PMD after another, what a stumper ! New PMD's and wiring harnesses are on the way :rolleyes: wish i coulda posted a picture

Dvldog8793
09-27-2013, 15:01
Howdy
Hopefully the PMD kit that ordered will relocate the unit AWAY from the engine. Sounds like you had more fun than anyone really deserves...:D

a5150nut
09-28-2013, 08:12
Hello there Mr. Goat,

Welcome to TDP. You are close to realising your own problem. When you do we have a 12 step program for diesel adiction!

good luck with the new rig.