PDA

View Full Version : Knock

scruffydogtoo
10-07-2005, 15:31
Just finished replacing fuel lines and FSD. Removed intake manifold and replaced gaskets. Truck runs good, but when I start it there is now a knock on the passenger side that I can hear through the firewall. As I increase the RPM's the knock increases, somewhat like a bad lifter. After warmup it seems to quiet down to a level that is no longer noticeable in the cab, suspect a bad lifter, looking for some comments.

Thanks

94 K2500HD Silverado ext cab SB, 136,000 stock

rjschoolcraft
10-07-2005, 15:34
The number 8 injector line can touch the firewall or other objects there and will cause a "knock" sound. Check to make sure you have adequate clearance on that line.

Barry Nave
10-08-2005, 00:17
I had the knock/ticking sound after installing The Gear drive and injectors. What the He** :eek: First time gear drive changer here tongue.gif Thought the worst only to fine the #8 injector line was touching the Alum. heater hose. The tab on the heater line was broke off :rolleyes:

BobND
10-08-2005, 04:48
Originally posted by scruffydogtoo:
Just finished replacing fuel lines and FSD. Removed intake manifold and replaced gaskets. Truck runs good, but when I start it there is now a knock on the passenger side that I can hear through the firewall. As I increase the RPM's the knock increases, somewhat like a bad lifter. After warmup it seems to quiet down to a level that is no longer noticeable in the cab, suspect a bad lifter, looking for some comments.

Thanks

94 K2500HD Silverado ext cab SB, 136,000 stock There is an aluminum coolant tube for the heater coming back from the water crossover manifold at the RH front of the engine, over the RH valvecover/intake area.

There is a "kickstand" on it, down to one of the valvecover bolts (studs). If that line gets out of position, and touches an injector line, you'll get the *&^%$#@ ticking in the cab you ever heard. Check that out, and post back!

restoguy
10-10-2005, 16:26
I noticed a knock on the passenger side after replaceing the engine in my '94 the last time. I determined that it must have been an exhaust leak at the downpipe as it never fit good there. It went away after the engine warmed up a little. I adjusted the DP fit and it quieted down but didn't go away completely. It has all but dissapeared now(5K later). Just my 2cts.

Barry Nave
10-11-2005, 02:40
posted 10-10-2005 06:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed a knock on the passenger side after replaceing the engine in my '94 the last time. I determined that it must have been an exhaust leak at the downpipe as it never fit good there. It went away after the engine warmed up a little. I adjusted the DP fit and it quieted down but didn't go away completely. It has all but dissapeared now(5K later). Just my 2cts.

Was this R&R eng. a used one?
Wonder if you may of had a injector knock that cleared itself.

scruffydogtoo
10-18-2005, 06:50
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggested solutions to my knock. I have investigated each suggestion to the best of my ability (not much) and all of the injector lines, coolant line and etc appear to be as they should be. This knock is still there but I will live with it. I really believe that it is a valve lifter, however I am not about to take it down to find out. The truck runs great, better than it did before the repairs so I will drive it.
This is one great resource. Thanks again.