PDA

View Full Version : Stud Girdle, 4X4 How to move/remove front axle to get oil pan out?

bdv
05-12-2005, 12:05
I am going to be installing Stud Girdle have read forum posting on subject. It has been stated that the best way to get the oil pan out is to ‘roll the axle forward just enough to clear everything’. ’By removing six bolts and rolled it forward just enough to clear everything.’ All so mentions ‘the center pin in the drivers side motor mount will come out too with a small amount of lifting.’ Is there anything else I would need to do? I do not wishing to do damage to the drive what should I look for when replacing? With the oil pan off is there any o-rings, seals, etc. on the oil pump or else where that I should replace?

Thanks for the help.

Brent

5.7L oldsdiesel
05-12-2005, 13:46
Well,maybe a new oil pump would be beneficial at this point regarding the miles on the truck.Would'nt hurt to change it.A new oil pan gasket will definately be needed.Get the oil pan sqeaky clean inside.Clean enough to eat out of is what i'm trying to say. smile.gif

ace58
05-12-2005, 15:31
I disconnected half shafts, removed drag link, front driveshaft and front end to get at oil pan. The truck had 150k miles so we replaced axle seals and checked u-joints while apart. The oil pan has a seal only and requires sealant instead. I agree, this is a good time to change the oil pump and search the webs for cracks.

charliepeterson
05-12-2005, 18:00
I would also remove the top half of the radiator shroud. When you jack up the motor the fan blade can crunch itself on the shroud.

john8662
05-12-2005, 18:12
There is no need to remove the front axle to remove the oil pan, nor jack the engine up. What I did was remove the skid plates, remove the front axle drive shaft. The remove the large mounting bolts that hold the front axle to the frame. This will allow the front axle to lower enough to get the pan off. You will also want to remove the turbo exhaust crossover pipe and starter and find ways to move the various brackets and lines out of the way.

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/65stud-girdle.jpg

This is the one I did on my 95 6.5TD, you'll notice that the engine mounts are still bolted in, and the axle is still present. I had originally onbolted the half-shafts from the front axle, now i know that there is room to just leave them connected and drop the axle down (it won't fall out).

[ 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

bdv
05-14-2005, 17:57
Thanks for the help, the pics are very helpful to show me what to look for. Thanks again for the help Brent