PDA

View Full Version : IP leak through wire loom?

Robbsclassics
10-05-2013, 09:27
So had the starter bolts loosen the shear off leaving me stranded. Got that fixed today. 10 miles down the road, I had the engine stumble a little, so I pull over and there is fuel pouring all over the engine. After tearing the upper manifold off on the side of the road, I can see fuel pouring out of the wiring harness that comes out of the back of the injection pump. Has anyone had this happen? I can't figure out what is going on, but think I may need a new injection pump. The pump only has around 40k mi on it. When I started it after that happened, I had hard starting, and there was black smoke puffing out the tailpipe.

Robyn
10-05-2013, 12:14
That harness runs the fuel solenoid.

This is a serious failure, and likely not fixable on the roadside.

The IP will need to come off and be taken to a pump shop that can work on Stanadyne pumps.

Good luck

Robyn

Robbsclassics
10-07-2013, 10:04
I got my burb towed home, now to tear into it. So is there anything I can do as far as rebuilding the ip? Would it be easier to get a replacement? I'm a diy kind of guy, and it just seems that if there are shops that rebuild IPs, I would be able to do it myself.

john8662
10-08-2013, 12:02
Easier to get a replacement.

If the IP is truely leaking out of the fuel solenoid that's not serviceable. It's installed with a specific crush, then electronically calibrated and verified.

J