PDA

View Full Version : 95 Alternator

farmerherb
01-09-2005, 15:51
Just wondering if there is another reason for alternator pulley failure, then just poorly made. I replaced the original alternator after 280,000 miles with a alternator from Autozone. After 2 months the pulley died, came apart, stripped! I hear a tinny noise around the altenator again. Wondering if this is a pulley failure warning? I still have the original alt., thinking of rebuilding it.

tanker
01-09-2005, 17:00
How is the belt tensioner? :rolleyes: Do you now have the proper belt and or pulley size, or did they say all pulleys are the same? There are marks on the tensioner where proper tension is to be, if its off the marks, either the belt is the wrong size, or the pulley is the wrong diameter. Also, I have had both good and bad luck with the so called rebuilt alternators sold by many auto stores. Is what you are hearing a bearing going bad? I'd remove the belt and spin the pulley and see what you hear and see. smile.gif

arrowheadracing
01-10-2005, 04:16
For about $40 you can rebuild your alternator with a high amp rebuild. Just check the shaft for runout and worn bearing surface. Other then that , you can rebuild your own alternator in about 30 mins or less. I agree, oem parts are worth thier money, if you can afford them all the time.

Thanks
Todd

a5150nut
01-10-2005, 05:20
I had a pully come apart in 1,100 miles of use. When i tookit back they said they didn't carry "That Brand". When I pulled out the receipt they said "Would 8:00am tomarrow be OK?"

My old 74 3/4 ton 350 I rebuilt the starter for years myself. Got caught out once and the only thing close was a Kragens. All they had in stock was one of their "Lifetime" rebuilts. The 3rd time I had to replace it, I got a good one from Napa and didn't have any more trouble. Never could get it shimmed right so it wouldnt make that tell tail sound................