PDA

View Full Version : 96 Silverado - Passenger Seat Problem The passengers seat in my 96 Silverado wont loc

Fishnfool
10-08-2013, 08:31
The passengers seat in my 96 Silverado wont lock into the upright position and slides back/forth on the track without locking in place. Seat type is a 60/40 bench.

Anyone know what the cause/fix might be?

rapidoxidationman
10-12-2013, 07:45
Bent parts.
My nephew leaned back in the passenger seat when I had a '96. He's a big boy and the seat back went *pop* and wouldn't lock upright anymore. I ended up replacing the hinge lock mechanism, and it wasn't too hard to do with a $100 part IIRC. Don't know about the track lock, but I'd suspect your two problems are related to something bent with the lower handle that flips the seat forward and unlocks the track. Grab your wrenches...

Fishnfool
10-12-2013, 10:31
Pulled the seat earlier this week and didn't see anything obviously bent/broken parts/springs or loose cables. The hooks that engage the slider rails were not engaging to lock the seat in place nor was the seat back locking.

Decided to take the seat by an old High School acquaintance who's been doing auto upholstery for 30+ years to see if he could figure anything out. Got there and the damn thing started working again. Only thing I could think was something got out of synch and got jarred back in as the seat flopped around a bit in the bed during the ride. Went back home, sprayed the slider mechanism and rails with Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant, reinstalled and am keeping my fingers crossed :rolleyes: