PDA

View Full Version : The five letter word: E-T-H-E-R

markrinker
01-10-2005, 05:39
#1 has a shop appointment with the best diesel guy I know to R & R block heater, test/replace bad glows & glow controller, 8 new injectors, anything else that could be causing the hard starting this season.

Was between a rock and a hard place this morning. 7 degrees out and no start possible without the block heater working properly. Snow coming later this week. Can't miss the appointment today...

So - I did the unadvisable. Just the smallest, 1 second whiff of ether into the air intake - while my son kept it cranking.

As expected, it fired right off, with all the horrible noises you would expect at 7 degrees. OUCH. OUCH. OUCH. So now I can worry about the effects of my actions for the rest of the eternity.

I am not looking for forgiveness, but wonder why this particular diesel engine doesn't tolerate ether, when many diesel manufacturers (Case skidsteers, John Deere tractors) build it right into the system? Is it a direct vs. indirect injection thing?

Please somebody tell me why I should NEVER do this again...

Turbo Al
01-10-2005, 06:22
"Uncontrolled Rapid thermal expansion" I would suggest tring WD40 I used it in the summer to start a dead 6.2 and it worked -- I don't know if it has the "KICK" you need to start in the cold though. They sure do sound like a sack of hammers when the startup in the COLD.

good luck
Al

rjschoolcraft
01-10-2005, 06:34
The ether prohibition is due to the use of the glow plug combustion chamber heat system, as I understand it. Ether is highly volatile, as you all know and can easily be ignited by glow plugs. Imagine all eight cylinders trying to fire on glow plug ignited ether all at precisely the same time...kablooey!

I have started 6.2's on ether before, when the glow system was known to be completely inoperative. My uncle has started his 84 6.2 regularly in the past on ether when the glow system was non-functional. He's since fixed the glow system.

Maybe someone will jump in here and show me the error in my ways and prove that I was just lucky... :confused:

[ 01-10-2005, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: ronniejoe ]

Hubert
01-10-2005, 06:41
I want some real reasons too. And when its ok to use a starting aid and what kind WD-40, gas vapor (rag soaked with gas over intake), or some diesel with a lot of cetane additive (squirted in intake? or soaked rag over intake?) etc. I think there is a way to help it start but its not advised because of such potential for damage and easy to over do it.

I have heard about ether:

1) During intake stroke the ether will ignite just off the hot glow plug if it is on or just after cylcle and cause excessive pressure on compression stroke. I am thinking this depends on time of actual explosion/ignition if it ignites when valve closes and piston on the way up its like a real bad case of preignition with extra force.

Have heard of different cylinders preigniting on the ether and vapor locking up the pistons because the "timing" is so off.

2) The actual glow plug doesn't like ether and will swell but I don't know why though or the mechanics of that reason.

Ok guys I would like some real experiences good and bad. Prefereably some good tricks.

JoeyD
01-10-2005, 07:04
Sounds like the either will cause all cylinders to fire at the same time instead of using the fuel from the injector pump to create a firing order. This is just a guess on my part but reasonbly possible.

Kennedy
01-10-2005, 07:51
A good HOT set of plugs and enough battery to roll it over is all that should be necessary. In abscence of functioning plugs (disable all) ether can be used as a last resort. I'd suggest what Mark did as in not introducing the ether till the engine is cranking though...

Emergency only once again...

markrinker
01-10-2005, 10:00
All good input. Here is my 'emergency' procedure - hopefully never to be used again.

#1) Disable glow system by disconnecting glow controller;

#2) Remove air box or K&N filter so no residual ether is trapped in the element;

#3) While cranking engine, give one short shot (~1 second) and wait for ignition.

gmctd
01-10-2005, 10:02
Real problem is personal safety - with a snoot full of ether, a red-hot glow plug and an open intake valve can cause really bad back-flash into the spraying nozzle on the can in the operator's hand, with disastrous result.

Most direct injection Diesels do not use a glow plug system - the 6.5, of the indirect injection genus, does.

That's my story, and..well..you know....