PDA

View Full Version : Federal Mogul Parts for rebuild

rvray
05-13-2005, 04:54
Federal Mogul pistons.

Has anyone used these parts for a rebuild or do you all go for genuine GM stuff ?

Need new pistons,rings etc.... quite a difference in the parts price !?

Are they any good? :(

eracers999
05-13-2005, 17:05
Federal mogul is good stuff..

Kent

5.7L oldsdiesel
05-16-2005, 04:03
Federal Mogul is truely a great way to go.I'm using Federal Mogul pistons in my 350 diesel,and with over 300,000K on this thing,it refuses to give up.The pistons are really good,same goes for their bearings.I would definately buy this brand again.

rvray
05-16-2005, 06:56
Ok thanks guys,

looking to do a rebuild , but never heard of these parts in the UK untill I did a websearch.

You wouldn't happen to know what size a standard piston is in a 6.5 TD would you ?

20050420|7|006071|000022|69.19.2.78
05-16-2005, 10:43
5.7 oldsdiesel,

have you some numbers about your truck, 0-60, horspower, etc.
smile.gif

ogrice
05-16-2005, 15:57
seafish

The stock bore for the 6.5l is 4.06 inches/ 103 mm. Hope this helps out.
Don't know how far you want to go with the engine. If you want to look at my rebuild, use the search feature and lookup "engine rebuild feedback" choose subject only in the search in column. Its pretty comprehensive there are some things that I've added since then.

5.7L oldsdiesel
05-17-2005, 11:31
6.5 NOVA,

The 350 diesel i have delivers 105HP with 205 ft/lbs of torque at 1600RPM.The injection pump has'nt been turned up,but the timing has been advanced just a little.The horsepower and torque numbers are low compared to 6.5 engines,but its really a decent engine.It has served me well.I have well over 300,000K on it in 5 yrs running.Runs excellent.It leaks some engine oil,not a whole lot,but just a little bit,but aside from the oil leak,it runs perfect.0-60 times are not too bad either.I have'nt exactly checked the elasped time in 0-60 seconds,but i know it is'nt all that bad.Definately not in the 20 second range.Well under that.My father has a 350 diesel mated to a TH400 tranny in his 79'Chevy pickup and it can really go.Very quick i must say.A friend of my fathers had driven it one day,and he was mighty impressed on how quick off the line it was.Performed like a gas engine we were told. smile.gif

rvray
05-19-2005, 22:26
ogrise.
Thanks for that, I will look it up.

I spoke to Northen Auto parts and they were realy helpful as far as the parts go, so we have gone with a master rebuild kit from them +/- a few bits.
I didn't measure the bores, just checked them for ovalling. But the pistons came out at 4.0500" @ 0.0625" up from the skirt as was suggested so that sounds about right.

So hopefully we have got standard sets then!
Whilst we have got it down we are going to change all the con-rod bearing, oil pump pistons + rings etc. We are also going to get the injector pump and injectors checked out locally as the reason for the rebuild is that one of the injectors has blown a hole clean threw a piston as if it were done with cutting gear.
Bit odd but I suspect this particular injector is an odd bod as the numbers don't seem to match all the others !!

rvray
05-19-2005, 22:40
6.5 Nova,

I have't realy got many details that you asked for. It is a GMc 6.5 TD. we have had no end of problems with it. Details are a bit hard to give as it is mounted in a Gulfstream Sunsport Rv and you probablly know they are a bit mix and match when they are built, or so it would seem!
we have had the Rv for about4 yrs and the first two it went like a train but we kept get high running temps

rvray
05-19-2005, 23:34
6.5 Nova,

I have't realy got many details that you asked for. It is a GMc 6.5 TD. We have had no end of problems with it.
Details are a bit hard to give as it is mounted in a Gulfstream Sunsport Rv and you probablly know they are a bit mix and match when they are built, or so it would seem!

We have had the Rv for about4 yrs and the first two it went like a train but we kept get high running temps when in the south of France etc so we changed the rads but only with a little improvement. We later found out that the company who did it had fitted the wrong core so we had to pay someone else to do it again and this time it seemed a lot better.
The next problem was a head gasket! We found a UK company who were supposed to be experts on these lumps and bought a recon long block assembly. OH DEAR !!With the fact set aside that it took us nearly four months to get our

twaddle
05-20-2005, 23:06
Hi Seafish,
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the 6.5TD.

I would suggest having the injectors tested at a diesel injection shop to varify if the injector from the blown piston cylinder is in fact at fault and check the rest of them.
Does your engine have the piston oil spray tubes?

I also have a full set of brand new injectors if you need them.

They should really be going in my Suburban but I haven't got round to it.

I am diesel mechanic to trade and if you need any advice or help don't hesitate to contact me.

I would suggest that the radiator should also be modified by adding an extra row of tubes, the top and bottom tanks are usually large enough to accomadate this modification and it can increase your engines coolant (volume)capacity by up to 30% thus helping cool things a bit more.

Is the transmission cooler inside the radiator or has it a seperate or an extra auxiliary cooler?

west Midland American Vehicles are good guys to deal with (if a little expensive for parts sometimes).

Good luck and best regards.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland, UK jim@jimmyt.plus.com

tom.mcinerney
05-24-2005, 15:49
Seafish-
If an injector sprays a stream (rather than an atomising mist) it will bore thru the piston. A bit of dirt in an injector line might suffice.

Unlike it's 6.2L predecessor, the 6.5L has only a single fuel filter. This item while keenly designed, can be foiled without bad intent, fouling the FIP downstream. Additional filtration is nice.

Are you aware of the difficulties with the oil-spray blocks?

Federal Mogul has possibly the best/broadest aftermarket parts in USA , with exception of specialty suppliers.

rvray
05-25-2005, 11:17
Twaddle,
thanks for your offer of the injectors but we took them into Lucas Uk locally on Monday and they are going to supply service exchange for us. It turns out that these sprayers that were supposted to have been new with the rebuild first time round would appear to have done about 100k miles at least ! No wonder there shot !

I will mail you the name of this dodgey company so that you don't get caught out too !!

We are also having the pump overhauled by them at the same time.

Dave at West midlands has been a diamond geezer to us and allways willing to help and advise!

Thanks for your offer of advise, might take you up on that at some stage.

All the cooloing probs seem to have been resolved with the fitting of the cooling mod kit from Kenedy's Diesels and well worth the money.
The trans cooler is about half the size of the main rad and is piggybacked in front of the main one, but I think that one of the probs there might have been that the cooling fins on one ran at 90 degrees to the other trying to force the air through horizontally and then vertically before leving throgh the grill.

rvray
05-25-2005, 11:27
tom mac 95,
thanks for info, I have noticed that there is only one filter. I have a boat and although it uses the dirtier red diesel we have three inline fuel filters of diferent guages. Would it increase the load on the FIP if I put another one in line and where do you think the best place to fit it would be? It is pulling the fuel from the front of the motor about 15 feet away.

What are the probs that both you and Twaddle mention concerning the oil-spray blocks, Can either of you tell me more please ??

tom.mcinerney
05-29-2005, 07:41
Early oilspray blocks are subject to a greater rate of failure via cracking webs/cylinders than earlier/later ones. {employ forum search for info re 'blocks', 'cracks', 'oil spray', etc.}

My feeling is that any secondary filtration is vastly superior to none. If your 6.5L has an electronic FIP, it should have a Lift Pump to prime it . The LiftPump should have regulated output pressure, 4-8psig at FIP input. Gomers/USDiesel Parts and other vendors (or dealers) can supply suitable pump. If you add filtration, may need additional LP(s) in line. DO put some filtration between the LP and the FIP, as sometimes the LP creates debris.
You should be able to find guidance on filtration thru forum searches.
An outstanding Filtration system was described in a post by 'TBOGEMIREP' some time back. Exhaustive (and heated) discussion concerning filtration took place in the DuraMax forum on this site. John Kennedy offers impressive kits for both LiftPump and Fuel Filtration upgrades.
I added a second OEM filter assembly, to more than double my reliability.