PDA

View Full Version : 97 Chevy 6.5 almost starts

barncat75
10-27-2013, 05:44
I have a 97 6.5 diesel. The truck was running fine in the spring. When the power steering pump seized, I let it sit for 6 or 7 months. Now it won't start. It cranks nice and fast and catches and revs up to 1000-1500 but won't stay running once I stop cranking even with the pedal floored (in fact, if I keep the pedal to the floor, it eventually stops revving completely and just sounds like you're cranking a dead engine). I've purged all the air out of the fuel filter. Cracked injector lines (Not sure I'm getting a good squirt off the third injector back on the drivers side but the rest seemed good). removed glow plugs and cranked checking for diesel fog out of ports (again, not sure about #3). I checked and cleaned electrical terminals to the IP and the FSD. Not sure where else to go w/ this. Suspect IP but not sure why it would quit on just one injector. Or why this would happen as a result of truck sitting. Also seems like if it's just the one injector, truck should run just not too well. Any ideas what's happening?

Oh, and I had a similar problem with this truck before that turned out to be water in the fuel but now, the fuel's definitely good.

trbankii
10-27-2013, 07:20
Not sure that flooring it helps at all. I'd check glowplugs.

Warren96
11-20-2013, 07:22
First of all Welcome to the Diesel Page! When it cranks is there smoke at the tailpipe? Try using the heater for a few hours and then try it.If you open the vent at the top of the filter can you still get air now?I have had the same IP in mine for 250,000 miles and it still runs fine! Catch some of the fuel coming out of the top of the filter in a clear jar and see if it's clean! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!