PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather treatment?

gimpyhauler
10-27-2013, 16:21
I just moved to snow country. Last saturday it was down to 11 degrees. Not extremely cold but it got me to thinking. I "may" drive my truck once per week. If I don't, I at least start it and let it warm up for a while. But I got to thinking about winter, I'll mostly be using my truck because it's 4x4.

I use a fuel additive each tank but it's not directed toward cold weather. So should I use an anti-jelling agent? Should I add an electric oil pan heater? Battery tenders (times two for duel batteries?)

Not that I miss sunny CA. But I need to avoid rookie mistakes when I need to get somewhere.

Any recommendations or what not to do?

Thanks in advance.

rapidoxidationman
10-27-2013, 17:38
In my experience, there's no need to start it just to warm it up. Start it when you need to drive, let it idle for 20-30 seconds or as long as it takes to scrape the ice off the windshield (rain-X REALLY makes this easier), and drive gently until it's warm. If you're worried about the batteries, install a trickle charger under the hood. One will be enough for both batteries; they're wired in parallel.

Realistically, the truck will start fine even at 20 below zero farenheit. That said, when it gets colder than about 0*F is when I plug my truck in for at least an hour before I start it up; it just makes things turn easier. Unnecessary to leave it plugged in overnight, but it won't hurt anything to do so. I've got my power outlet extension cord rigged with a remote control...

Fuel additive is never a bad idea, and the opinions on what to use are as varied as the products available. I use the gray bottle version of Power Service, others use FPPF, and Howe's is another of the many choices. Don't worry if you skip adding for a tank or two since the fuel suppliers blend the fuel for the local temps anyway. Been driving diesels since about 2000 and have never - not once - had an issue with gelled fuel. The lubrication and cleaning properties an additive gives the "dry" fuel of today is a good thing for the moving, high pressure parts of the fuel system though.

If you look close on the passenger side wheel well area (maybe tied to some plumbing) I'll bet you'll find a power cord leading to the engine block heater. An oil pan heater is certainly an option (warm oil is nice for a cold engine) but not needed, especially if you run synthetic oil.

Snow tires (not all season) are a good idea if the climate turns to ice/snow for the winter...

a5150nut
10-28-2013, 04:54
Cover your windshield at night. Saves a lot of scraping. Thin plywood, just something that wont soak up water and add to what you have to scape.

Kennedy
10-28-2013, 09:23
My winter regiment:

FPPF Total Power in my fuel (same as summer)

Stainless cold front in grille

As stated by others a windshield cover is nice for parking outside in freezing weather.

An oil pan heater is always a good idea for sub freezing temps. I prefer warm oil over warm cooling water for engine protection.

More Power
10-29-2013, 13:26
Here's an article that deals with this specific subject:

Cold Weather Operation and the GM Diesels

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/coldweathercc.htm