PDA

View Full Version : '97 swap to MFI questions

Gruffid
11-06-2013, 12:10
Hi,

I've read the articles about how a '96 OBDI truck was converted, but my 'burb is an OBDII, and I have dual thermostats.

I saw the article with the diagram about how to modify the thermostat housing, but I've also heard about modifying the throttle bracket instead. Does anyone remember what the details of this was?

Also, the conversion article mentions that G and P chassis (is this a GMC Savanna?) have the proper computer to control the 4L80E. Is this still the case with OBDII vehicles? If so, does anyone have the part #?

Thanks,

Jay

More Power
11-06-2013, 16:07
1996 was the first year for OBDII.

The best solution to maintain electronic control of the 4L80-E is an aftermarket transmission control module, like that offered by www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com (http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com)

When going that route, our 6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume II (http://www.thedieselpage.com/65bookii.htm) includes a series of five articles that explain how to complete the remaining conversion steps.

The hi-cap cooling mods are another subject, but are covered in 6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume I (http://www.thedieselpage.com/65book.htm).

Jim

Gruffid
11-06-2013, 19:05
I did see those articles, as I actually have book II in my hands right now. I also have book III which was delivered a couple of days ago. Book I is on the shelf in front of me. I was mistaken with the '96 vs '95 years being OBDI or OBDII.

However, as I mentioned in the original post, I thought I saw somewhere that someone was able to modify the throttle bracket instead of the thermostat housing to facilitate either an upgrade to a dual thermostat, or an EFI to MFI conversion. Does anyone remember the details behind that, or was I mistaken about that too?

Also, regarding the TCM issue, I read in another conversion guide that certain vehicles, specifically P and G chassis vehicles with a Y engine code, were equipped with DB2 IPs and 4L80E transmissions from '94 - '99 (94-'96 for the G Vans and '94 - '99 for the P-Chassis vehicles). Is that true? If so, would the TCM from those vehicles work for us?

Thanks,

Jay

Yukon6.2
11-06-2013, 23:29
Hi Gruffid
I did the throttle bracket mod on my truck when i installed the dual thermostat housing.
It's not much if you have a welder and a few tools.The biggest change is i had to mount the high idle solenoid at a bit of an angle,but it hasn't been an issue.If you don't find the thread i could take a couple of pic's for you and email them to you.
Thomas

Gruffid
11-11-2013, 12:30
Yukon62,

I searched all of your posts here and while I found several references by you to having done the swap, I couldn't find a thread describing it. Can you post your photos here on this thread?

Thanks,

Jay

More Power
11-11-2013, 12:59
I did see those articles, as I actually have book II in my hands right now. I also have book III which was delivered a couple of days ago. Book I is on the shelf in front of me. I was mistaken with the '96 vs '95 years being OBDI or OBDII.

However, as I mentioned in the original post, I thought I saw somewhere that someone was able to modify the throttle bracket instead of the thermostat housing to facilitate either an upgrade to a dual thermostat, or an EFI to MFI conversion. Does anyone remember the details behind that, or was I mistaken about that too?

Also, regarding the TCM issue, I read in another conversion guide that certain vehicles, specifically P and G chassis vehicles with a Y engine code, were equipped with DB2 IPs and 4L80E transmissions from '94 - '99 (94-'96 for the G Vans and '94 - '99 for the P-Chassis vehicles). Is that true? If so, would the TCM from those vehicles work for us?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay, In the 6.5L Turbo Diesel Volume III, there is an article entitled: 1996-2000 6.5TD - Mechanical Fuel Injection Conversion, page 77, that shows how to do the throttle bracket like what you're talking about. This is just one of the possible solutions, at lease one that worked.

The van factory ECM/TCM has been used in these types of conversions. A couple of problems: 1- They are scarce. 2- You've got to use the factory harnesses, which complicates the conversion.

If you're good with automotive wiring and wiring diagrams, then give it a go. I recommend the aftermarket solutions like that mentioned because it is easier/simpler - though more costly.

Jim

Yukon6.2
11-12-2013, 21:26
Yukon62,

I searched all of your posts here and while I found several references by you to having done the swap, I couldn't find a thread describing it. Can you post your photos here on this thread?

Thanks,

Jay
Hi Jay
I did find the thread i got the plans from it is..
Making Dual T-Stats Work on a 6.2,by Dieselboy.It's in the 6.2 forums.
I'm not a computer guy otherwise i would have linked it here
Thomas