PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! Put gas in truck

sturgeon-phish
10-08-2005, 15:34
Please help. I inadvertantly put 30 gallons of GAS in my truck. I drove about 3 miles, got out of the truck with it idleing and noticed white smoke coming from the tailpipe. I went to the cab and the truck died, and lots of white smoke came out. There was no out of the ordinary sound from the motor.
HELP!!! How do I fix this ASAP? I need to get the gas out. What is the best way? Could the gas be used? What do I need to do to purge the system. Have I really screwed things up?

JTodd
10-08-2005, 16:23
Check post here. (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008084#000000) (click on colored text) It has happened to others before, so this will get you started.

Good luck.

sturgeon-phish
10-09-2005, 14:03
Thanks for the link.
Here is what I've done so far. I siphoned as much as I could from the tank and the fuel bowl. I then disconnected the outlet of the lift pump and drained from the bowl down and loosened the injectors I could get to. I removed the fuse from the glow plugs and with the discharge line disconnected operated the lift pump intermitantly until no more fuel came out. Reconnected the lift pump line and alternatly filled and siphoned fuel from the bowl till no fuel would pump into the bowl. At this time I added 5 gallons of diesel fuel and operated the lift pump filling and siphoning until I clearly had had diesel fuel coming out. I installed a new fuel filter and purged the line. I'm at the point where I'm going to add PS diesel conditioner.

How much should I add? I've got a gallon, would that be too much?
My plan is add the conditioner, get the injector lines purged, (Will I need to turn the motor over to get the injector pump pumping?) Let it sit for a bit to allow and gasoline that remained in the injector pump and is now in the heads to dissapate, retighten the injectors, see if it will start, if it does, then fill up with diesel, run out a tank change filter and fill again.
Am I doing this right?
I really appreciate any help
Jim

sturgeon-phish
10-10-2005, 11:55
The Truck is now running as good as it did before the gas in tank ordeal. :D :D :D After purging the lines retightened the injector lines, replaced the glow plug fuse, and the truck started right up. Went and filled up the rest of the tank, with more conditioner and DIESEL, ran for about 75 miles with not so much as a hiccup. Stoped and restarted several times. No smoke. I may of gotten off lucky, but a lots of prayers had to help too :D . I asked our priest if there is a patron saint for trucks tongue.gif

rjwest
10-10-2005, 12:50
PLEASE, let us know about the Saint thing..

I could not find this in the HELM's manual.****script:void(0)
Big Grin

sturgeon-phish
10-10-2005, 17:25
St. Christopher is the patron saint of trucks automobiles and Truck Drivers, things related to travel.

jan5
10-12-2005, 17:34
That would be Mr. Christopher. It changed sometime in the 80s' He got fired.

Barry Nave
10-13-2005, 01:32
redface.gif