PDA

View Full Version : Early vs late water pump

Kcustom73
11-13-2013, 18:50
I'm having some clearance issue with the water pulley and electric fan on my Land Cruiser project.

I was wondering if there was any difference between the 93-98 water pump & 99-03 water pump other the pulley. With the later pump that I've got installed, the threaded nub for the fan is only about a 1/4" to 1/2" from the fan.

From the info I've been able to gather it would like the early pump would give me more room. I just wondering just how much more room I would get and would there be any issues with cooling?

Robyn
11-14-2013, 07:13
The late pump is a high output, and needs to be used with the dual t stat setup.

The overall size of the pump should be of negligible difference simply because the entire assembly is a direct replacement for the older version.

Not sure how you can get more room in there.

Missy

Kcustom73
11-14-2013, 09:18
Missy, thanks for the info. Don't want to loose the high flow pump so it looks like I'm shopping for a thinner fan. Lets hope I can get enough flow behind that radiator so that I don't have cooling issues moving slow...

Yukon6.2
11-14-2013, 18:25
Hi
Can you mount the fan in front of the rad?You can get aftermarket fans made to mount in front.Supposedly better cooling too.
Thomas

Kennedy
11-14-2013, 20:10
If you have the thread on style hub now I would thing that you could get away with the 97-98 water pump with the 4 stud mount and then use bolts versus studs.

Pulling fans are much better than pusher fans.

You could also machine off the threaded hub, but my concern is the press fit of the pulley.

Kcustom73
11-15-2013, 05:34
yukon 6.2... no room to mount a pusher fan on the front of my FJ40

Kennedy, so 97-98 is the only year the made the high flow water pump with the bolt on fan instead of the spin on fan. This is very good to know. I also taught about cutting of the hub off but have the same worries as you and also would make it a pita to change the water pump in the future.

After a lot of measuring last night and I will have to some more tonight, I think I can get away with raising the radiator assembly 1/2". The hub would then clear the fan motor and would now be over an 1" from the fan. Still not a lot of room but I can live with that. Might still look into the 97-98 water pump to give me that much more clearance.

Thank you for the help, stay tunned

Kennedy
11-15-2013, 09:42
Are you using anything as a retaining nut on the pulley as is?

If not I'd say trim back the threaded pilot as it's really not doing anything and apparently the pulley press fit is sufficient. That is IF the vehicle has been in service.

Alternatively a couple short tig welds would give the security and again you could trim back the snout. The pulley does not easily remove so no serviceability issues that I can see.

Kcustom73
11-15-2013, 10:19
This is a fresh build that I haven't run yet (hoping very soon).

To me there doesn't seem to have a need for a nut on the hub if there's no fan. The engine was tested this way by the guys at Diesel Depot on the shake down run.

I haven't put the coolant in the system yet so anything I can do now will save me some time (and mess). Maybe I can remove half of the hub and tack weld the end just for safety reason. Hopefully nobody notices if I ever bring the pump as a core for a rebuilt one...;)

Kennedy
11-18-2013, 09:01
I've never tried to press one apart, but I would sure think that it would press apart and with thermal cycles and vibration I'd feel much more comfortable with a couple small TIG welds on it. Machine it back most of the way and give yourself extra room.

Kcustom73
12-02-2013, 10:23
Got everything installed now and with every little mod I did (lift the rad assemble 1/2" & cut half of the water pump hub) it looks like I have enough clearnce now.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x177/kcustom73/DSCF7209_zpsda5588e9.jpg (http://s181.photobucket.com/user/kcustom73/media/DSCF7209_zpsda5588e9.jpg.html)

Thank you to everybody for the help.