PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak Passenger Side Water Pump??

CareyWeber
11-15-2013, 11:27
I have/had a coolant leak coming from the passenger side of my water pump (water pump weep hole is dry). I'm trying to decide if I need to pull the timing cover off and replace that gasket too. I could not tell for certain if the leak was between the water pump and the timing cover or between the timing cover and the block.

The timing chain has about 50K miles on it.

Anybody have an opinion on whether to do the inner gasket to?

DmaxMaverick
11-15-2013, 11:38
In most cases, the bolts weren't properly sealed. They require anaerobic sealer during assembly. Most of the time, RTV works fine, but there's a reason it's spec'd for anaerobic sealer. Could be the sealer wasn't allowed to cure before running, and are now leaking after time. The thread holes enter the water jacket.

More Power
11-15-2013, 12:16
There have been occasions where simply retorquing the bolts stops the leak. Seems cooling system gaskets compress a little over time, which reduces the clamping load of the fasteners.

If that doesn't stop it, I'd drain the coolant, pull those bolts, apply a smear of RTV sealant to the threads, then retorque them.

A full tear-down as a last resort.

CareyWeber
11-15-2013, 12:31
I had not thought of it leaking past the bolts, but that makes sense.

I don't remember what I used for sealer on the bolts when I did the timing chain and injection pump back in 2008.

I think I just used what came in the gasket set.

CareyWeber
11-15-2013, 13:04
There have been occasions where simply retorquing the bolts stops the leak. Seems cooling system gaskets compress a little over time, which reduces the clamping load of the fasteners.

If that doesn't stop it, I'd drain the coolant, pull those bolts, apply a smear of RTV sealant to the threads, then retorque them.

A full tear-down as a last resort.

I already had the water pump off. I wish I'd thought of redoing the bolts on that side.

I wonder if Teflon tape would work?

rustyk
11-16-2013, 19:01
I'm not necessarily a fan of teflon tape in this application (see below).

I use the NAPA anaerobic sealer, although they also sell gaskets for the application.

Unfortunately, since many of the bolts are installed from the rear of the cover plate, and if tightening the ones in front after resealing doesn't work, the plate has to come off.

BTW, for applications where I want robust seals, I use NAPA's sealant approved for aviation uses (Form-A-Gasket 765-1210). It's similar to Form-A-Gasket #2, but being thinner, is easier to apply with the included brush. This IS NOT an appropriate substitute for the anaerobic sealer.

More Power
11-18-2013, 12:06
Seems just plain threads coated with sealant does a surprisingly good job of sealing the WP bolts and head bolts.

Rarely is there a report of a leak. The head bolts are sealed using a Teflon paste (like plumbing paste), while the WP bolts are spec'ed for an anaerobic sealant.

I've seen pics of corrosion damage to the aluminum timing cover where the coolant passes through it. That timing cover leaked without the bolts being the problem. It needed a new cover.