PDA

View Full Version : Used pickup dmax

bcooper
11-16-2013, 12:33
Hello,
I am a newby starting to shop for a used HD with DMax. How many miles before you pass on a dmax equiped truck. I plan moderate light duty towing, but want reliable driving with good as possible MPG. I can do all my own wrenching if needed, but looking to pick the brain of longer time owners. Thanks
Buck

CoyleJR
11-16-2013, 14:03
Buck,
I would start looking at 2006 and newer Duramax trucks. The 06 and up trucks all have the six speed Allison transmission and manual gear selection. In 2006, all but but a few early production trucks had the LBZ motor. The LBZ motor does not have all of the emissions BS that the Dmax trucks produced from Jan 07 and up have. My 06 LBZ truck has been bullet proof and it has nearly 200K hard miles on it.
When you find a truck that you are considering buying, post the year and basic information such, as crew cab or dually etc and it will help others make recommendations. Every year the HP, towing capacity and emissions BS seem to change, so it is hard to decide which year is best. I personally like my 06 LBZ, I just wish that it had an exhaust brake like some of the newer trucks. One thing I would check for on a used truck is to have it scanned at the dealer to determine if it has been using a after market programmer to produce high HP. I would stay away from a truck that has been using a HP programmer. The mileage is not as important as is the type of mileage such as city or highway and how often the truck was serviced. Some Dmax trucks are still on the road with a million miles.
Good luck
John

DickWells
11-17-2013, 07:52
While I really love my 04 LB7, I still wish that I had given more serious thought to going for the offer that a dealer made, up in Richfield, Utah. He had an 07 Classic on the lot, in 07, brand-new. The 07 Classic had everything that the earlier models didn't, but was made just prior to the urea injection and all the other nanny junk, IIRC. If I was to total (God forbid) my old rig, or otherwise lose it, that's what I'd go looking for, today. And John is very right about the tuner thing, too. I have an Edge system in mine, and I get some crazy power out of it, if I want to, ----but. I've leaned that my transmission is probably in some danger, since putting all that power to use on 7-8 degree hills, with 21,000 lbs., all-up weight and passing semis at 75+ mph, has resulted in hard shifts and transmission codes, and limp a couple of times. Not fun. I'm in for a new torque converter and other up-grades at some point. I just keep my foot out of it, and I'm fine, but any truck you encounter has that same potential.

bcooper
11-17-2013, 09:29
Great info guys, that I had not thought of. So going to the dealer is the only way to know if someone has been running a programmer? Then after that, if they were, how much or to what level have they been pounding on the unit. sounds like Russion Roulette.
So far in my search for trucks i have found some one owner 2004 with just under 100K, but they are asking in the low 20K for the low miles. For about the same money you can also find 06,07 with 130K miles give or take. i was thinking more about possible injectors issues with the 04. Would most of those issues be weeded out by now? Just for looks I am more of the GMC fan and really like the looks of the redesign in 08. As far as the emmision stuff, when did GM start using exhaust juice?

Thanks Buck

More Power
11-26-2013, 13:29
Also, you could visit the following link to see more tips on buying a used diesel pickup, especially when it comes to buying from a GM dealer.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/mileage.htm

gimpyhauler
12-03-2013, 19:27
I just want to add that I bought my rig with just over 150,000 miles. I do have a BullyDog but have never taken it past the mileage improvement setting.

I have about 185,000 now and it has never been in the shop except for oil, filters and batteries.